“The most important thing I learned is that I can overcome my fears and move ahead. I now look at things differently and more positively. And I know that if you put your mind to achieving a goal, you CAN achieve it.”
- Family Childcare Training Program – Offers participants the coursework and training necessary to establish a licensed childcare business in their own home.
- Coursework offered as a Non Credit course.
- 30 participants are accepted each semester.
- Classes held at the SWC Higher Education Center in National City.
- Instruction in Spanish. (Parallel classes offered in English through Continuing Education)
- Program Length: 12-14 weeks. Program dates vary each semester.
- Participants must be available Monday thru Friday, from approximately 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Cost: Most fees, materials and many other extra benefits (see below) are included at no cost.
- Residents from San Diego County are welcome to apply.
- Serious and committed to setting up a home-based childcare business.
- Spanish proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Classes from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- 12-14 weeks of class.
- 60 hours Child Development
- 20 hours Infant/Toddler courses
- 32 hours Business courses
- 15 hours in Health and Safety, Pediatric First Aid and CPR (required by Childcare Licensing)
- Instructor has experience working with Family Childcare Providers and is a professional in Child Development.
SERVICES and BENEFITS
The Microenterprise Family Childcare Program collaborates with over 20 community, school and government agencies to provide the unique services and benefits to participants of the program:
- Business Counseling in Spanish
- Childcare Licensing Requirements covered: Orientation Meeting held on site, Application Fee, Fingerprinting for participant.
- Offsite excursions also included: Local Family Childcare Businesses, Small Business Development Center, YMCA Childcare Resource Service (CRS), Local Preschools, etc.
- Workshops on Community Topics offered by the Family Resource Center – Free, in Spanish.
- Small Business Loan Opportunity through ACCION: Application Fee, Credit Check, Site visit to home to assess renovation needed to meet Licensing Requirements, etc.
- Post Licensing Orientation Training through the YMCA CRS.
- Family Childcare Resource Library access onsite.* Mentoring Program with an experienced Family Childcare Business Owner.
- Incentive Gifts – needed for Childcare Business – fire extinguisher, smoke alarm, First Aid kit, etc.
- Alumni Group – for continued networking, education and support.
- Childcare available for children (2-5 years old) of participants.
HOW TO APPLY?
- All interested applicants are invited to an Information Session. Call the Southwestern College Child Development Center at 619/216-6695 ext 5908 for the date and time of the next Session. RSVP is required since space is limited at each Info Session.
- Recruitment period for the Spring semester occurs during the Fall of the previous year, and recruitment for the Fall semester occurs during the Spring prior.