Lifeguard Teaching Assistant Training Program
Ideal for Camp Counselors, Pool Lifeguards, Paddle Sport Leaders and Summer Camp Staff!
Become certified to work as a recreational and boating assistant.
Training provided through Southwestern College's Non-Credit Program. Spots limited. Enroll early.
Non-Credit Courses for American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/Title 22 are only offered in the Spring and Summer Sessions. Spaces are limited. Enroll Early.
To advance in the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Program, the participant must meet the following PREREQUISITES:
- Minimum Age 15 years old (Students under age 18 MUST have Parent/Guardian attend first class session (Swim Test) to sign SWC Waivers.
- Successfully pass the Swim Test scheduled the first day of class. The student must swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used. This swim is not timed.
- Successfully complete the “Brick Test.” Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Tread water for two-minutes (2:00) using only the legs.
To successfully complete the PREREQUISITE Swim Test above it is STRONGLY recommended that the student condition themselves by swimming regularly and training for this test. There is a high attrition rate by students who come to the first class period without training, therefore are unable to swim the 300-yards continuously or complete the brick test under the time limit.
Should you miss SWC’s Spring or Summer Lifeguarding, Title 22, Oxygen Administration courses, check local agencies such as the YMCA, the WaveHouse Athletic Club (Belmont Park/Mission Beach) or SafeSwim (Irvine/Orange County) for available Red Cross certification courses.
American Red Cross LIFEGUARD TRAINING - Spring 2015 Course Schedule
(Courses are FREE; Student pays for ARC books, supplies and course completion cards)
Participants must purchase the following supplies before class:
• Lifeguarding Manual Item #655735 (New $32; or Download the Lifeguard Manual here)
• Emergency Medical Response Textbook Item #656540 (New $70); Purchase from American Red Cross Online Store http://www.redcrossstore.org or alternate book-seller (e.g. Amazon). This text is REQUIRED for Title 22 Course.