Governing Board Appointment
TO: Applicant for Provisional Appointment to the Southwestern Community College District Governing Board, Seat 1
FROM: Melinda Nish, Ed.D. Superintendent/President
SUBJ: Application Information
Thank you for your interest in serving as a Provisionally Appointed Member, Seat 1, of the Southwestern Community College District (SCCD) Governing Board. The appointee will serve until the next regularly scheduled trustee election, which is in November, 2014.
To serve as an appointed member of the Governing Board, you must be a registered voter, a resident of the Southwestern Community College District, and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes as listed in the Application Form. Note: An employee of the SCCD may not be sworn into office as an elected or appointed member of the College District's Governing Board unless and until he/she resigns as an employee [EC § 35107].
Applications are available on the Southwestern College web site: www.swccd.edu/govboardapp or by calling the College directly at 619.482.6301 for a printed copy.
Required application materials include the following:
1. Completed Application for Governing Board Provisional Appointment
2. Signed Certification of Qualifications form as included in the Application form.
4. Letter of Interest addressed to Governing Board Members
Applications may be submitted as follows:
Melinda Nish, Ed.D. Superintendent/President and Secretary to the Board
Southwestern Community College District
Office of the Superintendent/President
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Enclosed is the Application Timeline that outlines the steps in the application and selection process. To be considered for appointment to the vacant trustee position, all application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 18, 2013.
Timeline and Selection Process:
March 22 – April 18, 2013
Application filing period
April 25, 2013
Special Board public meeting to hear candidate presentations. (3 minutes per applicant) Board to determine who will be invited for interview.
April 26, 2013
Applicants identified for interviews will be notified.
April 29, 2013
Special Board public meeting for Governing Board to conduct interviews of the finalists. Administration of Oath of Office and seating of appointee.
The Board encourages you to review the provided materials that outline Governing Board responsibilities and expectations of trustees. Additional information about Southwestern College and the SCCD Governing Board can also be found by visiting the College web site at www.swccd.edu. General information about the role of California Community College trustees may be found at www.ccleague.org
Please feel free to contact me at 619.482.6301 if you have any questions about the position or the selection process.
Melinda Nish, Ed.D. THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED.
Application Form and Related links
• Application form (electronic) Form must be printed, scanned and emailed to email@example.com
• Application form (print) (PDF)
• Application Timeline
• SCCD Conflict of Interest Policy No. 2710
• SCCD Conflict of Interest Procedure No. 2710
• SCCD Conflict of Interest Code Policy No. 2712
• SCCD Conflict of Interest Code Procedure No. 2712
• SCCD Code of Ethics Policy No. 2715
• Community College League of California Trustee Handbook: Chapter 6, Governing Board Role
• Community College League of California Trustee Handbook: Chapter 7, Trusteeship
• Catalog (online at www.swccd.edu/catalog) or available through the Office of Public Information & Government Relations
• Governing Board agendas, minutes and other information (BoardDocs)
• Southwestern Community College District map
To view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader.
You may read or edit Word documents with Microsoft Word, with the free Word Reader or with other software such as the open source program OpenOffice.org.