How and when to assess outcomes is to be determined by discipline faculty/unit staff. When deciding on how and when to assess outcomes in your area, two guidelines should be considered:
Steps to Assessing Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
All SLOs must be assessed within the Comprehensive Program Review
cycle established for your discipline or unit. A complete round of SLO
assessment is finished when every outcome for a discipline or unit has
- For academic programs a Comprehensive Program Review is due every 3 years with an annual snapshot between comprehensives.
- For administrative units a Comprehensive Program Review is due every 6 years with an annual snapshot between comprehensives.
- The assessment of outcomes is an on-going annual process which is a part of Program Review.
- Outcomes Assessment Timeline: Each discipline/unit needs to
review and update the Outcomes Assessment Timeline and submit the
updated timeline with their Program Review Snapshot.
- Program Review Snapshot: When completing the Program Review
Snapshot, include any SLO assessment results that support a requests for
the Prioritization Process -- our college process for allocating
human, technology, physical, and financial resources.
- Comprehensive Program Review: Include summary of all
outcomes assessment and aggregate data generated during the entire SLO
assessment cycle. Specific questions are included in the Comprehensive
Program Review to guide this process.
Write Outcomes and Construct Rubrics and Measurement Tools
- Write, Review and/or Revise Outcomes
- Create rubrics for measuring levels of student achievement of SLOs
- Create/find method of measurement for collecting SLO results
Measure Outcomes and Collect Data
Communicate SLOs to students and SWC community
Provide instruction and/or support to help students achieve SLOs
- Share SLO rubrics with students prior to assessing them
Compile and Store SLO Results
Implement measurement tools and consult rubrics when collecting scores
- Share results with students and discuss
Meet with Colleagues to Discuss and Analyze Data
Store SLO results in eLumen (instructional units) or in main office (administrative units).
- CSLO, PSLO, GESLO and ISLO results from course-section scores will be compiled and generated using eLumen
- AUO and SAO results will be compiled and generated in individual
administrative units and/or in consultation with staff in the Office of
Use SLO Assessment Results for Planning
In a meeting with colleagues, analyze SLO assessment results following the steps of Organizing a Discussion on SLO Assessment Results.
Take detailed notes of conclusions drawn regarding SLO assessment
results and prepare to describe those conclusion SLO in your area's
plan(s) for improvement and in Comprehensive Program Review
In a meeting with colleagues, use conclusions generated from your
analysis of SLO assessment results to design a plan (or plans) for
improvement in student achievement of SLOs
- Complete plans and enter them into eLumen (instructional units)
or send to ISLO Coordinator for uploading into SharePoint
- Use any and all SLO assessment results in program review. For
instance, use your area's results in conjunction with ISLOs, GESLOs,
PSLOs from other areas, AUOs and/or SAOs.
- Consult SLO assessment results when making any decisions that influence student learning and success
Implement New Plan(s) and Return to the Beginning of the Assessment Process
- Implement the plan(s) for improvement and collect more SLO assessment results
- Return to the beginning of this process to reassess SLOs (to close the loop of assessment and continue the process)
Last updated: 5/1/2014 8:56:29 AM