Admission Requirements & Application Process
Applicants for the Dental Hygiene program must be proficient in several subject areas. Prerequisites include courses in life sciences, reading and composition, speech and oral communication, psychology, sociology and college level math. Prior to applying to the program, students must have completed the prerequisite courses.
Please Note: It is the policy of SWC to require all prerequisite courses be completed and recency requirements met and proof of such received by the application deadline. No “In Progress” work is accepted.
ClickHere to View Complete Information Packet for Prerequisite & Requirement Details
It is strongly recommended that General Education and Graduation & Proficiency Requirements be met prior to entering the program.
For advisement of prior college course work as it pertains to program requirements, please schedule an appointment to meet with an academic counselor. Appointments can be made by contacting the Higher Education Center at National City at (619) 216-6665 Ext. 4851 or 4862. The Dental Hygiene Program can not make any pre-determination (by phone or email) of course work accepted for the program.
Prior to applying to the program, students must have completed the prerequisite courses. No coursework in progress is accepted.
To apply the applicant will be required to complete and submit the application online. The application will only be available online during the application filing period.
The Dental Hygiene Program candidates are chosen to fill 36 available positions per cohort (cohort begins in the summer of the same in which you apply). 15 alternate candidates will also be selected in the event a candidate (from the 36) declines acceptance. Candidates will be selected on a first come, first serve basis (by date complete application is received).
The application filing periods for the program are listed below. Please note deadline dates apply for receipt of all the following documentation:
Applicants will be selected for a position to start the program only after verification of:
1. Complete Application is Received by deadline with ALL required documentation.
2. Prerequisites/Requirements are met and verified as such by the Dental Hygiene Program
This will be adhered to for any available position for the program, including an alternate position.
- DH Application (only available online during application period)
- application will be available online beginning at 9:00 am on January 12, 2015
- Course Descriptions for all prerequisite coursework from other colleges
- applicant is responsible for obtaining descriptions from their respective school(s) catalog
- only applies to school(s) outside of San Diego County
- Dental Employment Experience Verification Form (only if applicable)
- Dental Office Observation Form
- The purpose is to ensure potential dental hygiene students have a greater understanding of dental office operations and duties of the dental hygienist.
- prepare in advance: download form, click here
- Official Transcripts
- please see details below on how to properly request transcripts to be sent to SWC
APPLICATION FILING PERIODS
| Program Start Date
|| Application Period Opens
|| Application Period Closes/Deadline
| June 8, 2015
| January 12, 2015
||February 12, 2015
| January 11, 2016
February 11, 2016
SUBMITTAL OF TRANSCRIPTS
Transcripts of all completed prerequisite courses must be sent to SWC by the application deadline. Do not send transcripts with application. Do not send transcripts to the Dental Hygiene Program.
Transcripts must be sent to:
Admissions and Records
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Important: If you are not a Southwestern College Student, a Student ID number must be obtained prior to sending in official transcripts. An ID number can be obtained by applying to Southwestern College at http://swccd.edu/
Tip: An SWC Student ID number will also be required for the DH Admissions Application
View tuition, fees and other financial information.
For more information, contact:
Dental Hygiene Program
(619) 216-6665 Ext. 4862