NEW as of FALL 2014:
- MULTI-CRITERIA POINTS FORMULA REVISED FOR INCOMING FALL 2015 STUDENTS
- ADN 140 Reading and Composition for Nursing and Allied Health Occupations (3 Units). The English requirement for Nursing has decreased from 4 units to 3 units. All prospective students are required to complete ADN 140 (3 units) in place of the English 115 (4 units).
- Sciences: Anatomy is 4 units , Physiology is 4 units, Microbiology is 4 units (all must have a Lab). ONLINE SCIENCE LAB COURSES ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
- All ADN students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Version 5 with a passing score of 62 or higher. A second TEAS attempt will be accepted with proof of remediation prior to retesting and a minimum of six months between test dates to allow for remediation.
About Registered Nurses
A Registered Nurse has completed a minimum of two years of a specific nursing course of study and has successfully passed a State Board of Examination giving them a license to practice nursing.
The RN is a professional who is well versed in caring for patients in all stages of illness, including health promotion and disease prevention.
All Registered nurses are required to continue their education on an ongoing basis. Documentation of courses completed must be submitted to the licensing authority every 2 years. (in California, it is the Board of Registered Nursing.)
Please note: If a student fails out of ANY Nursing Program for unsafe clinical practice or a violation of professional, legal, or unethical conduct, they may be ineligible for admission to Southwestern College's Nursing Program.
The application period for the incoming cohort (Fall 2015) is October 1, 2014 - January 30, 2015:
- Students must submit a completed application with unofficial transcripts.
- Prior to submitting your application, official transcripts must be submitted directly from your educational institution to the SWC Admissions & Records Office at 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910.
- You must also have a current SWC Student ID # at the time of application.
- Applications must also be accompanied by a complete physical which includes all immunizations required by hospital and clinical facilities (refer to application).
Test of Essential Academic Skills
All ADN, LVN-RN, and LVN students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). For more information on the TEAS test and available test dates, please click on the TEAS Testing link on the sidebar.
San Diego State University
School of Nursing Transfer Requirements: ADN students
San Diego State University Partnership
For more information on SDSU's Nursing Programs and transfer options/requirements, click on the link in the box on the right hand side.
Programs available at SDSU are:
- BS in Nursing
- RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- LVN to RN