Devoted Counselor Helps Athletes Win as Students
The Southwestern College Sun
Written by: Alma Hurtado/Staff Writer
| WINNING THE GAME OF LIFE - Counselor Ed
Cosio advises volleyball star and nursing major
Amerika rocha. Photo by Priscila Beruman
Counselor Ed Cosio admits he would finish a mile behind Southwestern College’s champion cross country runners out on the course, but ask the athletes and they will tell you he is always running alongside.
Coach Dr. Duro Agbede’s women’s cross country team has a great record over the past decade, including a state championship, but he said he is even prouder of his athlete’s transfer rate. It’s perfect, 100 percent, everybody. Most on full scholarship.
“It’s all because of Cosio,” Agbede said. “He is the angel of the cross country team. All credit goes to him.”
Cosio, a low keyand humble man, blushes and scoffs at the notion.
“It’s the students,” he said, “and Duro.”
Counseling and sports are a perfect match for him, Cosio said, because he loves both. He plays no favorites, though.
He said he sees no difference between a student who is an athlete and a student who is not.
“I treat all students with care and respect each time,” he said. “I advise students, whether they are an athlete or a student wanting to go to medical school. They are no different in my office and I treat people the best I can.”
Cosio said being able to counsel young athletes is special to him because it allows him to give advice in a subject he is knowledgeable in.
“It is nice to see our athletic students here have a great opportunity to use their talents to continue on and use that as a way to pay for their education,” he said. “I like to see kids transfer.”
Cosio said he has developed many relationships with students and staff. Agbede said he is Cosio’s biggest fan, but other coaches and professors would argue.
“My work is 30 percent as a coach,” said Agbede. “Ed Cosio does the other 70 percent. If one of my students needs help in their academics, I send them to Cosio. He finds a way for students to succeed. He is positive but honest. He will tell them exactly what they need to do to stay on track.”
Agbede said Cosio is a great educator.
“The most important thing is the changes we make in the life of the kids,” he said. “He is somebody I respect very dearly. He is highly professional and willing to go beyond levels to help.”
Terry Davis, dean of athletics, is another Cosio fan.
“We are blessed to have him,” he said. “He can work at any level with anyone and use his diplomacy to get things done. Many students have to juggle multiple responsibilities and even more so a student involved in athletics. That is where Cosio comes in, to help balance their education as well as their lives. He sets a plan and follows through to help students be more successful.”
Kindness and patience are Cosio’s hallmarks.
“I will treat students like they were my best friend’s kid,” he said. “I am very fortunate to have this job and I look forward to coming into work every day. I am joyful when I watch the students I have interacted with over the years graduate from SWC and move on to bigger and better ventures.”
A little empathy also helps, Cosio said.
“I use myself as a an example,” he said. “I wasn’t a brilliant student in college, I just had a yearning to continue on and earn a degree.”
Cosio began his education at SWC in the early 1970s. He transferred to UC Santa Barbara to earn a degree in education.
Back in San Diego County he landed a job as an admissions counselor at the University of San Diego where he recruited students from all over the country.
“I felt I found my true calling in counseling and decided to enroll in the counselor education program at University of San Diego,” said Cosio. “Later I earned a Master’s degree in education and was hired as a counselor at SWC in 1991. This job hits closer to home for me. Having graduated from here and having my three children attend SWC brings personal sentiment to why I love my job so much.”
Cosio said he feels he is winning the game of life.
“I am doing something I love and I get paid for it.” said Cosio.