DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
This is a two-year program of classroom instruction and clinical experience. The program prepares students to perform the education, clinical, and laboratory responsibilities of a dental hygienist. The program is accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
PROCESS FOR ADMISSION
The following is required in addition to general admission policies for Southwestern College (SWC). See college catalog for general admission policies:
Minimum Admission Requirements For All SWC Dental Hygiene Program Applicants
Must have completed high school or substitute program such as GED.
Must meet SWC general college entrance requirements.
|Must have successfully completed all prerequisite courses.
|Must have a GPA of 2.70 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) for required science prerequisite courses and meet five year recency.
| Must submit a completed SWC Dental Hygiene Program Application for Admission and required supporting documentation.
|Must have fulfilled a minimum of 8 hours of dental office observation, which includes observing the roles of the dentist, the dental hygienist, dental assistant, and receptionist. Submit observation form (included in this packet) upon acceptance into the program.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, creed, national origin, age, or gender. Qualified disabled persons who are capable of meeting the academic and functional requirements essential to participation in the program will receive equal consideration.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
1. If you have never been a SWC student, you must complete an application to become a student and obtain a Student I.D. number. Apply online at www.swccd.edu. You will receive a confirmation from Admission and Records (within 2-3 business days) with your Student I.D. number.
2. Complete the Dental Hygiene Program Application for Admission. Include your Student I.D. number on the application.
3. Once you have a Student ID number for SWC, request all transcripts to be sent from your respective college(s). Transcripts must be official and mailed directly from your respective college(s) to:
Admissions and Records
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Hand carried transcripts or transcripts issued to students are not acceptable. Do not send transcripts to the Dental Hygiene Program. Current or former SWC students will only requests transcript(s) from other college(s) attended other than SWC.
Applications will not be considered if transcripts are not on file with the office of Admissions and Records by the application deadline.
4. If prerequisite course work is from a college outside of San Diego County, you must include course descriptions with the application (course descriptions can be obtained from your respective school(s) catalog, usually found online). Be certain to obtain the course description from the appropriate catalog year that your course was taken.
5. Complete Application Checklist.
6. Submit application and all supporting documents via email only to: email@example.com.
For Application Status: Applicants will receive notice via email or U.S mail by mid March, 2014. Please do not contact the SWC Dental Hygiene Program for status.
For assistance, email your questions to:
Dental Hygiene Program