Southwestern College

Loan Entrance Counseling

Students who are first-time borrowers of subsidized or unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans must receive entrance counseling at or before Southwestern college can release the first loan disbursement. Entrance counseling helps ensure that the borrower understands the terms and conditions of the loan, as well as his or her rights and responsibilities, before receiving the loan proceeds. Borrowers who do not complete an entrance counseling session will be unable to receive their federal education loan funding.

Loan entrance counseling is available at  Students will need the FAFSA PIN number to enter the website.

Click here for a pdf of the Department of Education's publication "Entrance Counseling Guide"

Loan Exit Counseling

Students who have taken out Federal loan to help pay for college are required by federal law to have loan exit counseling before they graduate , leave school , or drop below half-time enrollment. Exit counseling provides important information needed to prepare to repay federal student loans. It reacquaints students with the type- or types – of loans which they have, the amount of their indebtedness, and their rights and responsibilities under each loan program

Loan exit counseling is available at

Students will need their FAFSA PIN number to enter the website. Students will also be asked to provide the name, address, email address, and telephone number for their next of kin; two references who live in the U.S.; and current or expected employer (if known).

The student will take a short "exam" specific to their loan program. All questions on the exam must be answered correctly before the exit counseling is considered complete.

Upon completion of the exam, students will print the confirmation page and sent to the financial aid office that they have completed the exit counseling successfully

Students who do not complete Exit Counseling will have a hold placed on their records until the requirement is satisfied. The hold prohibits you from obtaining grade transcripts and/or diplomas and from registering for classes at Southwestern College. Once you have completed the loan exit counseling requirement, the hold will be released.

Click here for a pdf of the Department of Education's publication "Exit Counseling Guide"
Last updated: 1/26/2017 8:21:15 PM