What is a Chafee Grant?
The California Chafee Grant provides current or former foster youth with funds to use for career and technical training or college courses. Students may qualify for up to $5,000 in addition to any other state or federal aid they receive. Because this is a grant, it does not have to be repaid. This grant can used toward costs including child care, transportation and rent. Funding is limited.
How do I qualify for Chafee Grant?
- You are or were in foster care between ages 16-18
- You have not reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year
- You are enrolled in at least 6 units in an eligible program (undergraduate degree or certificate)
- You demonstrate financial need, as determined by the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application
- You maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
How do I apply for a Chafee Grant?
File two forms:
For more information on the process please read Chafee Grant Facts or visit www.chafee.csac.ca.gov