To ALL Staff, Faculty, and Student Blackboard Users
As of June 12, 2017, you are required to use MySWC to access all Blackboard content. As a result, the old Blackboard login forms are no longer available!
Use bookmarks or favorites? Update them to my.swccd.edu now!
Login with MySWC Now
Blackboard via MySWC News
- Great news for students and faculty! On June 15, 2017, we enhanced the automated system to update your user profile and course information in the Blackboard system every 2 hours! For more information, see the FAQs below.
Blackboard via MySWC FAQs
Below are some common questions and answers pertaining to Blackboard & MySWC:
- Q How do I access my Blackboard content?
- A The Blackboard system is now only accessible via the MySWC Portal. If you are a student or faculty, your personalized MySWC Portal page will display a Blackboard section where you will find direct links to your current classes, with no additional login required! There is also an SSO-enhanced Blackboard button located at the top of your MySWC Portal page in the "Campus Apps" section (this button will allow you to see your current and prior Blackboard courses, if available).
- Q STUDENTS: My class starts today, how fast can I get access to the Blackboard class?
- A First, you must have been successfully added to the class in WebAdvisor. If so, you will normally be given access to the Blackboard course within 2 hours. But, please keep in mind that it could take up to 24 hours to gain access.
- Q FACULTY: Since the automated system is sending data to Blackboard more often now, should I even bother with manually adding/removing students to/from my courses?
- A No, don't worry about it! There is no longer a need to make manual changes to your courses since the system is running every 2 hours now. In fact, you won't even find an option for that in your user list anymore.
- Q What happened to the old way of logging into Blackboard?
- A We are aligning a lot of our systems to be able to use the same username and password (i.e. SSO with your MySWC account) to log you in - Blackboard is one of them. As a result, the old way of logging in to Blackboard was removed. Now, you must use MySWC to access the Blackboard system.
- Q Am I still able to use the Blackboard Mobile App?
- A Yes, the Blackboard mobile app can still be used! The only difference now is, you will see the standard MySWC login screen instead of the generic Blackboard login screen when you login. Please note, you may need to do a search for "Southwestern College - SoCal" and then login from there instead of selecting from your recent logins on the welcome screen. However, any login attempts after the first time with MySWC should allow you to select from the recent login section.
- Q I am a faculty member trying to login with my Blackboard username, but it's not working. What am I doing wrong?
- A Faculty members, you must now use your MySWC username and password to login to the Blackboard system (there is no other way anymore). If the username you are trying to use looks like a student's username (xx1234567), it will not let you in. If you are not familiar with MySWC, visit the MySWC help website for more information.
- Q I am able to login to the MySWC Portal, but I am getting an error message when I try to connect to Blackboard. Is my account broken?
- A Please keep in mind that it could take up to 24 hours for your information to be transferred to the Blackboard system. For example, if you are a student who just registered for a class today via WebAdvisor, you should be able to access Blackboard tomorrow. The same is true for faculty - if you just got assigned to a course today, you should have access by tomorrow. If it has been more than 24 hours, please contact the Online Learning Center for assistance.
- Q How often is course and user information sent to the Blackboard system?
- A Data from our Student Information System (SIS) is automatically transmitted to the Blackboard system on a regular basis. Normally, course and user profile information is processed by Blackboard every 2 hours begining at 12am, then again at 2am, 4am, 6am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, and 10pm (all times are Pacific). Please note that any data transfer may be canceled if SIS maintenance is being performed or if system resources are extremely low. In these cases, any changes will take place during the the next successful transfer. See the next FAQ for detailed information about the process.
- Q What is the process that sends data to the Blackboard system?
- A Warning, this answer may be a bit too technical ... Every 2 hours, our Student Information System (SIS) looks for any changes to your user account (i.e. name, email address, etc.) and course enrollments (i.e. adding or dropping a course) since the last time the process ran. If it finds any changes, the SIS saves those changes to files and then moves them to a secure server (this part can take up to 30 minutes or so). At the top of the next hour, Blackboard connects to that secure server, retrieves the files, and then processes them to make the changes in the Blackboard system.
So, for example, you are a student who adds a course in WebAdvisor at 12:15pm. The SIS will notice the change in your course enrollments at 1pm, then saves the data to files. Those files get moved to the secure server. Blackboard then connects to that secure server at 2pm, grabs the files and processes the changes, usually within 15 minutes or so. So, by 2:15pm the changes that you made in WebAdvisor at 12:15pm will be reflected in the Blackboard system. Basically, within 2 hours, you will be able to access your Blackboard course.
- Q What if I need additional help or have more questions?
- A If you need additional help or have more questions, visit the Online Learning Center.
- Q I heard account maintenance was performed on the Blackboard system. What was involved during the maintenance period?
- A It was a 3-step maintenance project that began June 12, 2017 and ended June 14, 2017. The steps involved were: (1) some faculty members had multiple usernames they had to use to access their Blackboard content ... after maintenance, all faculty members were left with only one Blackboard account to be accessed via the MySWC Portal; (2) all Blackboard accounts were "cleaned" to ensure the automated system would be able to keep them up-to-date - this step reversed the adverse side effects of creating Blackboard accounts manually in the past; (3) all older Blackboard accounts, as well as those accounts with usernames that did not match MySWC usernames, were deactivated (this included "preview" and "guest" accounts that were manually created in the past).
- Q Why was the maintenance performed?
- A These changes were needed to not only provide a consistent login experience using MySWC, but also to ensure access to the Blackboard system remained secure and only available to those who are authorized to use it! Your sensitive data will be safer as a result!
MySWC Help & Information