Southwestern College

Information for Victims of Sexual Assault
If you have become the victim of domestic violence, you have certain rights under the law. This information is provided by the Southwestern College Police Department for your convenience.

You may ask the District Attorney or city attorney to file a criminal complaint for any crimes committed (a police report must is required in order for the complaint to be reviewed).

You may file a petition in Superior Court requesting any of the following orders for relief:
  • An order restraining your attacker from abusing you or other family members.
  • An order directing your attacker from leaving your household.
  • An order preventing your attacker from entering your residence, school, business or place of employment.
  • An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or visitation rights to your minor child or children. An order restraining your attacker form molesting or interfering with children in your children.
  • An order directing the party not granted custody to pay support of minor children if that person has a legal obligation to do so.
  • An order directing either or both parties to participate in counseling.

You have the right to file a civil suit for losses suffered as a result of abuse, including medical expenses, loss of earnings, and other expenses for injuries sustained and damage to property and any other related expenses incurred by the victim or by any agency that shelters you. Be aware that despite official restraint of a person alleged to have committed domestic violence, the restrained person may be released at any time.

Last updated: 6/29/2011 4:22:07 PM