In collaboration with Student Services, the International Studies Office supports the recruitment, retention, and student success of international students attending Southwestern College.
The college is a public, coeducational, two-year institution located in Chula Vista, California. Southwestern College is fully accredited and offers more than 312 associate degree and certificate options. Please look at our on-line catalog for program and degree descriptions. For more information please visit Admissions.
- Established in 1961, the college is situated on a 168-acre campus ten minutes north of the U.S.-Mexican border.
- Located in the southern portion of beautiful San Diego County, minutes from the world famous San Diego Zoo, and two miles from the dynamic Pacific Ocean coastline.
- Southwestern College is close to many four-year universities, including San Diego State University, University of California at San Diego, and the University of San Diego.
- The college’s stellar faculty represents some of the best-of-the-best in fields ranging from architecture to theatre. A number of our faculty comes from such prestigious universities as MIT, Columbia, and Stanford University.
- Southwestern College has an award-winning student newspaper, debate and forensics teams and concert choir.
- The college has more than fifteen athletic programs including championship basketball and cross-country teams.
- Southwestern College consistently ranks in the top ten percent of the more than 1,000 two-year colleges nationwide in the number of associate degrees conferred.
- Students can prepare to transfer to a four-year university by earning an associate degree, and improve their English language skills through our exemplary English as a Second Language program.
- In addition to traditional academic preparation, Southwestern College offers technical and career technical education training (including web design, tourism, and hospitality) at the eight different schools located on our main campus, and at the two off-site educational centers.
- The Cesar E. Chavez Student Services Building is located in the heart of the Southwestern College campus. This new, multi-level facility houses all Student Affairs related departments and is designed to make it easier and more convenient for students to access the services they need.
- The Associated Student Organization is located in the brand new Student Center, which houses over 48 student clubs, an open computer lab, health services, a game room, the student activities office, and a student lounge.
- Our $13 million Higher Education Center at National City boasts cutting-edge equipment and laboratories.
- The Higher Education Center at Otay Mesa is a 70,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art facility, which houses a number of signature programs including the Police Academy, Environmental Technology, Nursing, Fire Science Technology, Paramedic training, Emergency Medical Technician, and International Business.
- TOEFL score requirements
460 paper based
140 computer based
- Cost of attendance
Tuition and fees (academic year): $4,796
Typical room and board charge (academic year): $8,748
- International financial aid
Grants offered: No
Scholarships offered: No
Loans offered: No
- Financial Aid Advisor for International Students
- International admissions office
Phone: +1 619 482 6584
- Housing possibilities in San Diego
Homestay Services International, +1 619 582-8120