See Beyond the Numbers
Accountancy is the study of theories, principles, and practices in the recording, analyzing, and communication of financial information. This discipline explores the flow of transactions in quantitative form and the role of reporting in the overall system for financial control in business, industry, and government.
Learn More. Earn More.
The primary task of accountants, which extends to all the others, is to prepare and examine financial records. They make sure that records are accurate and that taxes are paid properly and on time. Accountants and auditors perform overviews of the financial operations of a business in order to help it run efficiently. They also provide the same services to individuals, helping them create plans of action for improved financial well-being.
On the job, accountants:
- Examine statements to ensure accuracy
- Ensure that statements and records comply with laws and regulations
- Compute taxes owed, prepare tax returns, ensure prompt payment
- Inspect account books and accounting systems to keep up to date
- Organize and maintain financial records
- Improve businesses efficiency where money is concerned
- Make best-practices recommendations to management
- Suggest ways to reduce costs, enhance revenues and improve profits
- Provide auditing services for businesses and individuals
What Can I Do with an Accounting Degree?
Career Center Counseling Appointment
Get help choosing your classes, developing your Student Education Plan (SEP), or polishing your resume
Get the specifics