Why choose SWC?
- SWC has a nationally recognized undergraduate research program, introducing potential career pathways. An entire program in Pharmaceutical and Laboratory Science (PLS), was established with a grant of more than $200,000 from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- What's happened in chemistry at SWC? And what else?
- Southwestern College Sun Newspaper is a national award winning newspaper.
- The Global Literacy Award for work with Africa was awarded to Professor Mary Holmes from the Child Development program. Ms. Holmes led a team of students to Cape Town Africa for a Literacy Hosted Annual Early Childhood Conference for 350 students and community members.
- The Center for Recording Arts & Technology is a $5.5 million, state-of-the-art recording center which was completed in May 2008. The Center raises the bar for audio technology education within the California Community Colleges, Cal State and UC system statewide, and was nominated for a TEC award for technical excellence in 2009.
- Dental Hygiene had a 98-100% passing rate on State Boards.
- Nursing: A few years ago a new Nursing Simulation Lab was implemented as an innovative way to instruct students in the Nursing, VN, ADN and CNA programs. The Sim Lab is one of the most advanced in San Diego County.
- Passing rates for the State licensing exam for registered nurses meets or exceeds the national standards (mid 80's and higher)
- Program is accredited by State & National Agencies
- Certified Nurses Assistants (CNA) typically has a 95% pass rate on state testing
- This year, a research group from UC Berkeley designated Southwestern College as a community college that merits recognition due to the success of its basic skills programs. In March, UC Berkeley researchers visited our campus and observed the administrative and legal office intensive training, as well as SWC's impressive offerings in the areas of mathematics, reading, tutoring, writing
- Southwestern College established a bi-national agreement between Universidad Tecnologica de Tijuana (UTT) and has become partners in education. A memorandum of understanding was signed between both institutions with the intention of collaborating on projects that would benefit students on both sides of the border.
Last updated: 3/20/2017 10:56:30 AM