Apply for Degree/Certificate

Southwestern College offers Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees as well as Certificates of Achievement and Certificates of Proficiency. Please see below for important information about the petition process.

  • If you think you are ready to graduate, or have 45 or more units, you are strongly encouraged to see your counselor for a Grad Check. This review will help determine how close you are to completing you course of study and if you still have course work to complete before submitting your petition.
  • GEBR/IGETC Certification - if you will be transferring to a CSU or UC school in the future, you may need a GEBR or IGETC certification. If this is your only declared goal at Southwestern College, please check with the financial aid office for eligibility requirements. Click here for more information, the online petition form and deadlines for submission.
  • Students do not automatically receive a degree or certificate upon completion of all program requirements, but must submit a petition to begin the evalaution process. If you are petitioning for more than one degree or certificate, please complete a separate petition for each.
  • All official transcripts from all colleges attended must be mailed directly to the Admissions Office (no hand-carried transcripts are accepted)  and be on file at the time a petition is received. Missing or incomplete transcripts can cause petitions to be delayed or denied.
  • Transcripts for all previous coursework are required whether or not credits will be included in the degree or certificate evaluation.
  • Certificates of Proficiency (17 or less units) will not be listed on the official transcript and are not inclued at the Commencement Ceremony.   
  • After submitting your online petition, you will receive a confirmation response. When the evaluation process has been completed, you will receive an email from us notifying you if your petition was approved or denied.
  • If your petition is denied, you must submit another petition for a subsequent semester after any missing coursework or documentation has been completed. 


Deadlines to Submit

Petitions must be received prior to the deadline date and will only be processed for the semester in which they are received. Students whose petitions are denied must re-petition for a subsequent term after any missing coursework or documentation has been completed.


November 1st


March 1st


July 1st


Last updated: 2/26/2015 12:39:20 PM