- Academic, Career, & Personal Mentoring
- Career Development
- Opportunities for internships
- Leadership Opportunities
- Current Southwestern College student
The need for B2LA
Black Brotherhood Leadership Association (B2LA) was created in 2016 to address the systemic challenges facing African American male students at Southwestern College, as well as provide them with the necessary resources to excel academically and personally. B2LA is comprised of an on- campus leadership team of administrators and counselors whose sole intent is to increase the retention, persistence, and transfer rates among Southwestern College’s African American males. B2LA’s mission is to focus on: personal development, academic excellence, mentoring, and community services. Through these components, B2LA strives to foster a sense of empowerment among its members, which in turn will enable them to improve their social and academic skills, and transform them into the community and global leaders that they aspire to become.
B2LA Mission Statement
The Black Brotherhood Leadership Association (B²LA) is an alliance of black male student leaders that focus on academic success, personal growth, career development and community outreach. Through open communication, mentorship, accountability, and academic discipline, B²LA is dedicated to increasing retention, graduation and transfer rates of black males at Southwestern College. B²LA strives to provide a safe environment for black males to address challenges in life, build identity, and overcome personal daily obstacles.
- Sense of belonging and support
- Provide ongoing tutoring and academic counseling
- Improve academic success for African American male students
- Increase transfer and completion rates
- Career guidance from diverse professionals as well as campus faculty.
- It is paramount that B²LA members share their time and talents in giving back to the community.
For more information:
Phone: (619) 421-6700 X 5288