Southwestern College

1. Can I check out books?
If you are a currently enrolled Southwestern College student or current SWC faculty or staff member, you may borrow materials from the library. You may also use the interlibrary borrowing service to obtain materials from other libraries, and you are allowed off campus access to our online information databases that support college instruction and research.

If you are a local community member, you can apply for a Community Borrowers card in the library. Community borrowers must be 18 years of age and a San Diego County resident.

2. How do I get a library card?
Your student or staff ID card serves as your library card as soon as you have it validated at the Library Circulation Desk. Remember to bring your ID card with you whenever you visit the library.

Replacing a student ID cards cost $5.00 and can be paid for at the Cashier's Office located in the Student Services Center in the Cesar Chavez Building.

3. Is the library open on weekends?
During both the Spring and Fall semesters Southwestern College Library is open on Saturday and closed on Sunday. During intercessions, holidays and official campus closings library hours vary. Please check for posted schedule changes or call the Library for hours: 482-6397

4. I don't know where to begin! How can I learn to use the library?
If you need help finding information or don't know how to get started on an assignment or project, your first stop should be at the Reference Desk, where the reference librarian will be happy to help you. A reference librarian is on duty during all hours the library is open.

5. Do you have computers for student use in the library?
The Computer Commons on the third floor offers Southwestern College students access to over 100 computer stations. Students have access to periodical and information databases, the Internet, the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), the library catalog, electronic books and other course related software.

There are also computer labs for student use in Building 420 and in the Student Activites Center . Be sure to take your photo student ID card with you to the labs.

The general public can access computers and research materials in the Reference area on the second floor of the library.

6. Where can I find my textbook in the library?
Student textbooks are sold in the campus book store, Building 630. However, some instructors place copies of their textbooks on reserve in the library so that students in their classes may use them.

Check the Library Catalog to see if your textbook is on reserve in the library. You will need the book's call number in order to check out the book. Most reserve items are for library use only and can not be taken from the building.

7. Where can I find videos and other multi-media?
All media in the library's collection can be searched using the Library Catalog. All media items are for use in the library building. Visit the Circulation Counter on the second floor of the library to check out your item.

8. Can I take videos and other media home?
Students must use all media programs in the library. The only exception is when a media program is used for a class presentation. Students must have their professors written authorization to check media out of the library building. Faculty and staff may take programs out of the library to preview or to use in the class room.

9. Are there study rooms in the library?
The library offers a variety of study spaces, including study rooms and multimedia viewing rooms designed to provide a space for students to work on collaborative projects. The study rooms are located on the third floor of the library and multimedia viewing rooms are on the second floor. The multimedia viewing rooms require that users check out a room key at the Circulation Services counter. The study or multimedia viewing rooms can not be reserved in advance.

The following Study Room Guidelines are provided to clarify use of these rooms:

10. How do I find articles in journals, magazines or newspapers?
You can access all types of articles using our Articles and Databases webpage. From the Libraries' home page select the Quick Link Articles & Databases. If you have trouble deciding which database best fits your need, please use our Ask-A-Librarian service for assistance. The Libraries staff can also assist you with using any particular database.

For print periodicals use the Library Catalog and search by the periodical title or view our Periodicals Holding List online. Our print periodicals are restricted to library use only. Several photocopiers are available in the library so that you can take copies of articles home with you. Current periodical titles are available on the second floor of the library.

11. How do I get library materials from the main campus to another Southwestern College campus?
There is daily delivery service between the campuses. Ask the librarian or staff member to help you obtain library materials from the main campus library.

12. I teach at one of the off campus centers. How do I receive a video for classroom use at my center?
There is daily delivery service between the campuses and the library can send videos and other media to you. Contact our Media Services Department to help you obtain the multimedia materials that you need for your classroom from the main campus library.

13. Can media programs be duplicated?
Our Duplication Services department can duplicate audio, or video cassettes and CD-ROMs when the producer allows duplication. Contact our Duplication Services Department for further information.
Last updated: 3/1/2017 8:09:26 PM