International students and their voices are a core part of the diverse community at Southwestern College. Our Office of Binational and International Programs plays a central role in ensuring all feel welcome here, and if you have any questions at all about the international admissions process, our team is here to walk you through every step.
Learn about programs for binational (US/Mexico) and international students at Southwestern College.
What’s the International Admissions Process
Applying for college does require certain things you’ll need. Review the “What You Will Need” section below very closely to ensure you don’t miss anything.
Once you’re ready to apply and have everything you need, you can get going! Please review the application deadlines.
You will find whether or not you’ve been accepted approximately 30 days after the application deadline. Before enrolling in a class, international students have several requirements, including attending a pre-semester orientation.
What You Will Need to Apply as an International Student
Here’s what you’ll need for international admissions at Southwestern College. If you are looking for some more detail or information, we encourage you to contact our staff. We will be happy to help you through the process!
- Online F-1 International Student Application: Submit all your documents via our online application.
- Proof of English Proficiency: Applicants must verify English Proficiency through one of the following:
- TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language - Minimum score of 50 iBT (internet-based test). ETS must send the score directly to Southwestern College. Our ETS code is 4726
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System - Minimum score of 5.5 IELTS Academic. IELTS must send the scores directly to Southwestern College.
- Duolingo English Test - Minimum score of 75 Duolingo English Test. Select Southwestern College (California) to send the test score directly to us.
- Official transcripts or diplomas from a U.S. High School with the date of graduation posted.
- Official transcripts from a U.S. college or university showing completion of a college-level English composition course.
- Completion of Level 108 or higher at Q International School.
- High School Transcripts:
- Submit your official High School diploma or certificate directly to Southwestern College. If the documentation is not in English, you must also submit a certified English translation.
- Evidence of Financial Support: You must provide evidence of sufficient financial support to pay for your tuition, books, supplies, and living expenses for two semesters. The total estimated cost is $30,431 U.S. Dollars.
- For Transfer Students: To verify your present status, you must send a copy of your I-20, a copy of your F-1 visa, a copy of your most recent I-94, and a Transfer Verification Form.
|F-1 International Students
||F-1 Transfer Students||F-1 Border Commuter Students|
|Fall 2023||June 30, 2023||July 28, 2023||July 28, 2023|
||December 1, 2023||January 2, 2024||January 2, 2024|
|Summer 2024||April 5, 2024||May 3, 2024||May 3, 2024|
|Fall 2024||June 28, 2024||July 26, 2024||July 26, 2024|
F-1 International Students
List of documents required to apply as an F-1 International Students who will reside in the U.S. for the duration of the program of study at SWC.
|Affidavit of Support||
Students must submit the Affidavit of Support form with a signature from your sponsor. This form serves as proof that the person who signs it is willing and able to financially support you as an International Student for the entirety of your studies at SWC.
F-1 Transfer Students
For students who are currently studying in the U.S. at a language school, college or university who want to transfer to SWC.
|Affidavit of Support||
F-1 Transfer Students must submit the Affidavit of Support form with a signature from your sponsor. This form serves as proof that the person who signs it is willing and able to financially support you as an International Student for the entirety of your studies at SWC.
F-1 Border Commuter/Fronterizo Students
Students who are citizens of Mexico may apply for this I-20 category which allows them to attend a college or university in the U.S. that is within 75 miles of the U.S./Mexico border. F-1 Border Commuters/Fronterizo students may attend Southwestern College as full-time or part-time students. Students must abide by the following rules:
- Full-time students must enroll in at least 12 units per semester.
- Part-time students must enroll in at least 6 units per semester.
- Students are not allowed to live in the U.S. They can cross the border only on the days they have classes.
- Students are not allow to have an F-2 dependent I-20.
- Students are not allowed to work on campus at Southwestern College.
- Students are not allowed to work off campus.
- Students will receive a new I-20 each semester.
For more information on the F-1 Border Commuter Status, you may visit the U.S. Exchange and Visitor Program
Los estudiantes que son ciudadanos de México pueden solicitar esta categoría I-20 que les permite asistir a una universidad en los Estados Unidos que se encuentre dentro de 75 millas (120 kilómetros) de la frontera entre Estados Unidos y México. Los estudiantes F-1 Border Commuters/Fronterizos pueden asistir a Southwestern College como estudiantes de tiempo completo o medio tiempo. Las siguientes reglas se aplicarán:
- Los estudiantes de tiempo completo deben inscribirse en al menos 12 unidades por semestre.
- Los estudiantes de medio tiempo deben inscribirse en al menos 6 unidades por semestre.
- Los estudiantes no tienen permitido vivir en los Estados Unidos. Solo pueden cruzar la frontera los días que tienen clases.
- A los estudiantes no se les permite tener un I-20 para dependientes F-2.
- A los estudiantes no se les permite trabajar en el campus de Southwestern College.
- A los estudiantes no se les permite trabajar fuera del campus.
- Los estudiantes recibirán un nuevo I-20 cada semestre.
Para obtener más información sobre el estatus de F-1 Border Commuter, puedes visitar el sitio web del U.S. Exchange and Visitor Program
Mexican nationals who are border commuters. For students who live close to the U.S./Mexico border and will attend SWC while residing in Mexico.
Requisitos de Registro
Para estudiantes que son ciudadanos mexicanos y cruzaran la frontera desde México a los Estados Unidos para asistir a clases, mientras mantienen residencia permanente en México.
Affidavit of Support
Students must submit the Affidavit of Support form with a signature from your sponsor. This form serves as proof that the person who signs it is willing and able to financially support you as an International Student for the entirety of your studies at Southwestern College.
|Comprobante de Soporte Financiero
Los estudiantes deben presentar el formulario de Comprobante de Soporte Financiero con la firma de su patrocinador. Este documento sirve como prueba de que el patrocinador está dispuesto y tiene la capacidad financiera de cubrir los gastos del estudiante internacional durante todo el tiempo de estudios en SWC.
Ready to Apply?
Students who will reside in the U.S. must submit the F-1 International Student Application.