The philosophy of Health Services is to promote, encourage, and assist the students and staff to maintain good health and safe habits for themselves, their family, and their community while in pursuit of their educational goals and objectives.
Health Information and Services
If you are currently enrolled in classes at Southwestern College and have paid the health fee, you are eligible for general office visits and Personal Wellness visits. Health Services provides first aid care and health education to students. While most services at Health Services are free of cost, fees are charged for some services such as blood testing, immunizations, and medical record requests.
Chula Vista Campus
Call (619) 482-6354
May 28, 2019 - August 9, 2019
Monday to Thursday: 8:00am - 6:30pm
August 12, 2019 - August 23, 2019
Monday to Thursday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Friday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
*Health Services office will be closed May 29, 2019 and August 12, 2019 for staff training.
National City HEC
Call (619) 216-6665 x4855
June 10, 2019 - August 1, 2019
Closed: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday
August 5, 2019 - August 23, 2019: National City Health Services office will be closed.
Otay Mesa HEC
Call (619) 216-6750 x6758
June 3, 2019 - July 31, 2019
Wednesday: 8:00am - 1:30pm
Closed: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
August 1, 2019 - August 23, 2019: Otay Mesa Health Services office will be closed.
San Ysidro HEC
Call (619) 216-6790 x4909
June 17, 2019 - August 1, 2019
Tuesday: 10:00am - 3:30pm
Closed: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday
August 5, 2019 - August 23, 2019: San Ysidro Health Services will be closed.
Ask a Nurse
If you have a health-related question or concern, email the nurse at email@example.com and the nurse will reply during office hours.
(619) 482-6380 Non-emergency calls or x6380 from any college office phone.
(619) 216-6691 Emergency calls or campus payphone dial *91 or any campus call box
Other Police Agencies
Emergency Paramedics/Ambulance 911
Chula Vista Police (619) 691-5151
San Diego Police Dept (619) 531-2000
National City Police Dept (619) 336-4400
- Alanon/Alateen (619) 296-2666
- Alcoholics Anonymous (619) 265-8762
- Becky's House Emergency Shelter (619) 234-3164
- Casa Nuestra (619) 420-4663 or (800) 640-2933
- Casa Segura (619) 420-3620
- Child Abuse Hotline (800) 344-6000 or (858) 560-2191
- Crisis Team/CMH/Drug Hotline (888) 724-7240
- Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline (888) 385-4657
- Narcotics Anonymous (N.A.) (619) 584-1007
- National AIDS Hotline (800) 922-2437
- Poison Control Center (800) 222-1222
- Project Safe House (619) 267-8023
- South Bay Community Services (800) 640-2933 24-hour Hotline
- South Bay Regional Recovery Center (619) 691-8164
Immediately report all accidents to the the instructor, supervisor, or person in charge. All accidents must be reported to Health Services as soon as possible. An accident report is required to substantiate an insurance claim. Contact Health Services or athletic trainer for insurance reporting forms and information. Time is of the essence! Do not delay reporting.
Accident Report Information
The completion of an accident form is necessary for all injuries and/or accidents that occur on-campus and/or off-campus during a college sponsored activity. The accident report must be completed as soon as possible after the reported incident.
The completion of the accident form is assigned to the instructor, supervisor, or person in charge. Please inform student/non-employee that the completion of an accident report form is not a claim for insurance. However, if an insurance claim is necessary, the student/non-employee should be directed to Health Services.
Student Accident Insurance Eligibility
- Students enrolled and registered, while attending regularly scheduled classes at college; or while attending college, supervised, and administratively approved activities, including club activities, or traveling under college supervision to and from college sponsored events.
- Student athletes enrolled and registered, while participating in or attending any regularly scheduled practice or competition supervised by an authorized representative of the college; or while traveling directly to and from practice or competition with other members as a group, provided such travel is supervised by an authorized representative of the college.
- Children of students while in or about the child care facility provided by the college, provided that the facility is on the college campus; or while attending “Mommy and Me” classes provided by the college with their student parent, if applicable.
- High risk students who have paid the appropriate premiums, attending Fire or Police Academies associated with the college.
Written notice of claim must be submitted within 120 days after the date of the accidental injury.
Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program
Southwestern Community College District is committed to providing a drug-free environment. The Drug Free Schools and Campuses Regulations (34 CFR, Part 86) of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act (DFSCA) requires Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) to provide written information regarding the institution’s Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Program. The purpose of this regulation is to inform and assist students concerning the prevention and unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol on school premises, or as part of any of its activities.
- Blood Pressure Screening
- Body Fat Calculation
- Doctor Consultation by appointment
- First Aid
- Health Counseling
- Health Education Information
- Mental Health Counseling & Referral
- Over the Counter Medications
- Referral Services
- Sexual Health and Education
- Counseling and referrals, pregnancy tests, and condoms.
- Monthly STD/HIV testing on Chula Vista campus. (Fall and Spring Semesters only)
- Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Testing (Available at Chula Vista location only)
- Tuberculosis Risk Assessment
- Vision Screening
Immunizations, vaccinations, and Tuberculosis (TB) skin testing are available at the Chula Vista campus only.
- Tetanus Diphtheria, Pertussis (TDAP) (Whooping Cough)
- Hepatitis B
- Flu Vaccination. Available during Flu season only and while supplies last.
- Flu Information: Preventing the Flu (PDF)
- Tuberculosis Assessment/Screening is available at all sites. Tuberculosis Skin Test is done at Chula Vista site only. More TB Services info: TB Skin
- Testing and TB Risk Assessment schedule (PDF)
- Quest Diagnostics lab services. Please visit nurse for a consultation and lab order. Blood draws are done off campus at Quest Diagnostics.
- Terms to know:
- Glucose means blood sugar levels
- Hgb means hemoglobin/iron
- Lipid profile is a detailed measurement of the fats in your blood. It consists of
measuring your total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides and calculating
your LDL cholesterol.
Note: Fasting is recommended unless otherwise noted to get accurate results. This means no food or drink, except water, for 9-12 hours.
Doctor consultations are available to students only. Appointments are recommended. Students in medical occupations programs, please contact a Health Services member for additional requirements for program physicals.
Month Dates Time January 01/31/19 9:45am-3:00pm February 02/07/19, 02/14/19, 02/21/19, 02/28/19 9:45am-3:00pm March 03/07/19, 03/14/19, 03/21/19 9:45am-3:00pm April 04/04/19, 04/11/19, 04/16/19, 04/18/19 9:45am-3:00pm May 05/07/19, 05/09/19, 05/16/19, 05/23/19 9:45am-3:00pm
* Appointment dates and times are subject to change without notice.
The student health fees finance the student Health Services and the Accidental Coverage for enrolled students.
- Tetanus Diphtheria, Pertussis (TDAP) (Whooping Cough) $47.00
- Hepatitis B shot for $35.00 per shot; this is a series of three shots
- Flu shot available during flu season, while supplies last. Price varies every year. Please contact Health Services for more information.
- Sports Physical $50.00
- Copy of medical record $3.00
- Quest Diagnostics lab services. Fees vary. Please visit Health Services for a nurse consultation.
- Please note, prices listed and availability may change without notice. Services with a cost require an invoice. Contact Health Services for more information.
Spring 2019 Health Services Events
Time and Dates
Free STD testing, birth control, and emergency contraceptives to the college community.
10:00am to 2:00pm
Student Union Mall
Walkway area between Cafeteria and 600 building
San Diego Blood Bank Blood Drive
Open to the community. Please schedule an appointment at www.sandiegobloodbank.org/my-sdbb
10:00am to 3:30pm
Mayan Hall Patio
SD Blood Bank mobile unit will be parked in front of Mayan Hall
Health Services Outreach: SEXUAL JEOPARDY
11:30am to 12:30pm
Come test your knowledge about sexual health & wellness. Answers must be in the form of a question.
Health Services Outreach: DRUNK BUSTERS
11:30am to 1:00pm
Mayan Hall Patio
Join Health Services and Campus Police for "Drunk Busters", a simulated drunk driving course. Event includes mock DUI/sobriety check, and Health Services booth.
*Must be 18 years of age and licensed to drive, to participate in driving portion of the event.
Health Services Outreach: KICK BUTTS DAY
11:30am to 12:30pm
Join Health Services in kicking smoking to the curb. Health Services staff will be available with smoking cessation resources to give out to the college community.
Health Services Outreach: SLEEP DEPRIVATION
11:30am to 12:30pm
Learn more about getting enough sleep for better health.
Health Services Outreach: STRESS TIPS
11:30am to 12:30pm
Don't let stress overwhelm you. Meet with Health Services on the Jag walk for tips on handling stress.
Note: Events are subject to cancellation without notice.
This list of community resources is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute endorsement by SWC Student Health Services. This list is updated at the start of the academic year. Please keep in mind the information listed may change without notice.
Clinic Location Website Phone AFC Urgent Care 760 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista, CA 91910 www.afcurgentcarechulavista.com (619) 821-2300 CVS Minute Clinics Various locations in San Diego County www.cvs.com/minuteclinic (866) 389-2727 Family Health Centers of San Diego 251 Landis Ave, Chula Vista, CA 91910 www.fhcsd.org (619) 515-2300 La Maestra Community Health Centers 217 Highland Ave, National City, CA 91950 www.lamaestra.org (619) 434-7308 Operation Samahan 2743 Highland Ave, National City, CA 91950 www.operationsamahan.org (844) 200-2426 Planned Parenthood Chula Vista 1295 Broadway #201, Chula Vista, CA 91911 www.plannedparenthood.org (888) 743-7526 Public County Health Clinics 690 Oxford St, Chula Vista, CA 91911 www.sandiegocounty.gov/hhsa (858) 694-3900 San Ysidro Health 4004 Beyer Blvd, San Ysidro CA 92173 www.syhc.org (619) 662-4100 Teen Health Center 1550 Broadway, San Diego CA 92101 www.fhcsd.org/teen (619) 515-2333 Clinic Location Website Phone Caring Hearts Medical Clinic 2401 Reo Drive, San Diego, CA 92139 www.caringheartsmedicalclinic.com (619) 479-6767 Operation Samahan Various locations in San Diego County www.operationsamahan.org (844) 200-2426 Public County Health, South Bay 690 Oxford St., Chula Vista, CA 91911 www.sandiegocounty.gov (619) 409-3110 Sharp Hospital Outpatient Lab Services 751 Medical Center Ct., Chula Vista, CA 91911 www.sharp.com (619) 502-3619
Health Insurance/Affordable Care Act
As part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), California has a Health Insurance Marketplace where people looking for coverage can go online at www.healthcare.gov or at www.coveredca.com to find health insurance.
The Health Insurance Marketplace makes it easier to find health plans and choose the one that is best for you.
You can review each plan, see costs and what’s covered — so you can make an informed decision and enroll in a health plan that meets your needs and budget.
SWC Health Services will refer inquiries to San Ysidro Health (SYH) to assist students find affordable health care coverage. Please call the San Ysidro Health (SYH) Insurance Hotline (619) 600-3000 for more information.
NOTE: ONLY Covered California Certified Educators and advocates can enroll. Beware of imposters.