Easy Transfer to University!
Courses are the same, the credits are the same!
UC & CSU Transfer
Community college tuition is about half that of tuition at a four year university.
Discover a smaller classroom size at Southwestern College, along with college resources to promote student success.
Easier entrance requirements! SAT or ACT scores are not required for admission. Didn't do well in high school? Southwestern College provides basic skills development in Math, English, and Reading to bring you to a competitive level.
Had the grades but not the money to attend university? Southwestern College has Transfer Agreement Guarantee contracts with many universities and offers honors classes, too.
- Work Based Learning Connections is an excellent site funded by the Community College Chancellor's office Work-based Learning Collaborative VTEA 1-B (#05-0157)
- Career Guide to Industries
- Career Pathways: Advisors and Counselors
Student Online Resources
Why choose SWC?
- SWC has a nationally recognized undergraduate research program, introducing potential career pathways. An entire program in Pharmaceutical and Laboratory Science (PLS), was established with a grant of more than $200,000 from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- What's happened in chemistry at SWC? And what else?
- Southwestern College Sun Newspaper is a national award winning newspaper.
- The Global Literacy Award for work with Africa was awarded to Professor Mary Holmes from the Child Development program. Ms. Holmes led a team of students to Cape Town Africa for a Literacy Hosted Annual Early Childhood Conference for 350 students and community members.
- The Center for Recording Arts & Technology is a $5.5 million, state-of-the-art recording center which was completed in May 2008. The Center raises the bar for audio technology education within the California Community Colleges, Cal State and UC system statewide, and was nominated for a TEC award for technical excellence in 2009.
- Dental Hygiene had a 98-100% passing rate on State Boards.
- Nursing: A few years ago a new Nursing Simulation Lab was implemented as an innovative way
to instruct students in the Nursing, VN, ADN and CNA programs. The Sim Lab is one
of the most advanced in San Diego County.
- Passing rates for the State licensing exam for registered nurses meets or exceeds the national standards (mid 80's and higher)
- Program is accredited by State & National Agencies
- Certified Nurses Assistants (CNA) typically has a 95% pass rate on state testing
- This year, a research group from UC Berkeley designated Southwestern College as a community college that merits recognition due to the success of its basic skills programs. In March, UC Berkeley researchers visited our campus and observed the administrative and legal office intensive training, as well as SWC's impressive offerings in the areas of mathematics, reading, tutoring, writing
- Southwestern College established a bi-national agreement between Universidad Tecnologica de Tijuana (UTT) and has become partners in education. A memorandum of understanding was signed between both institutions with the intention of collaborating on projects that would benefit students on both sides of the border.
Counselors, consider directing your student towards non-traditional careers. Read the article below, and follow the links for further information about non-traditional careers.
- The Pros and Cons of Non-Traditional Careers: Working in Careers that Defy Gender Stereotypes by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Women in Non Traditional Careers
- Non-Traditional Careers for Men
Transfer Center has articulation agreements with UC and CSU schools, and with a variety of private universities.
Learning Assistance Services
Learning assistance services are offered through the Academic Success Center (ASC).
The ASC also offers a tutoring program for students in grades 5 through college level called Tutors, Tweens & Teens+ (T3).
The Financial Aid website provides access to financial aid forms and programs, financial aid/web-advisor and scholarship information.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Financial Aid
- AB 540 can it work for you?
- Immigrants & Higher Education in California: New law will allow students who have attended California high schools to qualify for in-state tuition, regardless of immigration status.
SWC Health Services
Health Services includes: