Southwestern College will begin its phased reopening in August and will bring many in-person student services and about 25 percent of classes back to our campuses for the fall 2021 semester.
As the state of California has lifted most of its COVID-19 pandemic restrictions and South County continues to be a leader in vaccination rates, we are excited to begin our transition back to in-person services and classes and welcome back our students.
Southwestern College leadership will continue to monitor local health data, including vaccination rates, and regulations as it works to update our health guidelines as needed. Southwestern College recognizes student, employee and community concerns about COVID-19. We are committed to ensuring a safe and healthy environment for learning and working.
Guiding Principles for Decision-Making
- Student health, well-being and educational success.
- Employee physical and financial health and well-being.
All campuses (Chula Vista, National City, Otay Mesa and San Ysidro) will open for in-person student services.
Updated Health Guidelines
- Vaccines are required for all employees and students accessing in-person instruction and services this fall 2021 semester. Students and employees will receive more information in their MySWC email on how to submit their vaccine verification.
- Masks are required to be worn in all indoor buildings and facilities.
- Visitors such as prospective students and parents do not have to document their vaccine status this fall but must wear a mask on all Southwestern College campuses.
- There will no longer be daily screenings conducted on campus. Students and employees will be asked to self-screen for symptoms prior to coming to campus. Anyone experiencing symptoms should stay home and call their medical provider for more instructions.
- Welcome tables will be positioned across campuses to answer questions, provide assistance, provide masks for those needing them, and share reminders on how to keep yourself and others healthy and safe.
Students accessing in-person classes and services and all Southwestern College employees must submit their vaccine verification for the fall 2021 semester.
Students: Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to submit your vaccine verification and check your MySWC email for more information.
Employees: Check your email and chat with your supervisor on how to submit your vaccine verification.
This FAQ was updated in August 2021, things may have changed by the time you read this. We will strive to update this document as state and local guidelines are updated.