Meeting Students Where They Are"
Urban Scholars Handbook
A guide for justice-involved students at Southwestern College:
Students currently succeeding at:
- Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility (RJD)
- San Diego County Jail - East Mesa Reentr
- ADT in Business Administration (prison)
- Personal Development, Reading, Communication, Financial Literacy, Keyboarding/Computer Skills (jail)
- Second Chance Pell Grant Site
Transitions to College “T2C" Objectives
- Structure academic programming onsite for the currently incarcerated with a focus on college readiness, computer literacy and the development of soft skills to promote the successful transition into the community college and the local community.
- Provide robust counseling and tutoring support onsite to currently incarcerated and at the college site to formerly incarcerated students as they navigate reentry to the community.
- Provide informed career counseling and job training opportunities through integrated partnerships with community-based organizations (e.g. Second Chance) focused on providing reentry services.