Develop a Growing Career
Studying Community, Economic and Urban Development will give you the skills needed to work with government organizations and community planning groups to help plan and revitalize their communities. Through this program, you'll learn initiatives that help develop the local economy, create jobs, and maximize the use of local resources including the development of real property, transportation, water and other natural resources.
Southwestern College has developed the Community, Economic, and Urban Development Program to provide students with the skills and knowledge required to be successful in this and related career fields. The program discusses the concepts of city planning, architectural design, land use, innovation, creativity, leadership, real estate, transportation, economics principles, and workforce development.
A work experience component offers volunteer or paid internship opportunities on local civic boards, commissions, councils, committees, private businesses, government agencies, or non-profit organizations located throughout San Diego County focusing on the South County region. Students gain practical skills and can work toward employment in the field or transfer to a four-year college or university that has related programs in the area of urban planning.
Learn More. Earn More.
Urban planner has been considered one of the "best careers" in surveys conducted by various organizations.
Career options include (some require additional degrees):
- Urban/city planner or designer
- Transportation planner
- Environmental technician
- Research analyst
- Title examiner
- Construction manager
- Operations manager
- Real estate and land use designer
- Property and community association manager
- Economic developer
- Housing specialist
- Parks and recreation planner
- Associate in Science Degree: Community, Economic and Urban Development
- Certificate of Achievement: Community, Economic and Urban Development-Basic
- Certificate of Achievement: Community, Economic and Urban Development-Intermediate
- Gainful Employment: Community, Economic and Urban Development - Basic - CT
- Gainful Employment: Community, Economic and Urban Development - Intermediate - CT
Career Center Counseling Appointment
Get help choosing your classes, developing your Student Education Plan (SEP), or polishing your resume
Get the specifics