What Are Placements?

Placements show you which math, English, and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are needed to start your college journey. 

There are NO tests required or used for placement. Instead, information from your application or the Guided Placement is used to decide your starting point for college-level math, English, and ESL classes.

To see your starting point for math visit the What Math Should I Take? page.

We strongly recommend all students start with transfer-level math and English classes in their semester of college. Some students need to take a support classes with their transferable math and/ or English class. This is determined by placement. Support classes help students succeed in transfer-level math and English classes.

If you already attended another college and want to continue your studies here, check out our Prerequisites webpage. The webpage contains instructions on having your prior classes cleared so you can take the next level math, English, or ESL with SWC.

Placement and Prerequisites Petitions and Forms

How Do I Check My Placement Results?

  1. Please check your SWC email for a message with subject line "IMPORTANT: Your Southwestern College Placements".
  2. If you are unable to find your email, you may click on this link to see your Southwestern College Placements.
  3. If you are still unsure of which math class to take, visit the Southwestern College What Math Should I Take? page for help.

Types of Placements


New Students with US High School


In general, new students who completed high school in the United States will be placed into mathematics and English course sequences based on one or more of the following:

  • Unweighted overall high school grade point average (HS GPA)
  • Courses taken in high school
  • Grades in high school courses

This information will be collected on your application when you Apply & Register to Southwestern College.


No US High School Transcript


Complete the Guided Placement if you are in one of the following groups:

  • You completed high school outside of the United States.
  • You attended less than two years of high school in the United States.
  • You completed a high school equivalency like the GED or HiSet or left high school without finishing.

ESL Placement


You have a right to take credit English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. If you want to take English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, you need to complete the Guided Placement

If you have problems or questions about the ESL Guided Self Placement, visit the Placement and Prerequisites Lobby or to get help.


Current & Returning Students


If you are a Southwestern College student who was  placed into non-transferable developmental courses in mathematics and English before Fall 2019, you have a right to get a new placement that will allow you to enroll in a transfer level math or English course.

You can begin this process by completing the Guided Placement.

Virtual Chat

We are here for our students. Cranium Café provides live Chat with an online staff member. Click on the link below to access our online chat during business hours.

Student Services Lobby

If you are interested in more information about the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program, please chat with our ESL Student Advocate Specialist, Angelina Barrera.

Sí usted esta interesado en más información de Inglés Como Segunda Lengua (ESL) hable con nuestra ESL Student Advocate Specialist, Angelina Barrera.

Note: If you have questions about support class requirements. Information for enrolling in support classes can be found below.