Operate Your Future
The Surgical Technology Program prepares the student to function in the operating room under the direct supervision of physicians and nurses. Surgical Technologists assist the surgeons during surgical procedures. Most work settings are in hospital operating rooms, emergency rooms and out-patient surgical clinics. The program is designed to prepare competent entry-level Surgical Technologist in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. Salaries in the San Diego area range from $42,000 to $52,000 per year to start.
The Surgical Technology Program is three semesters: fall, spring and summer. Prospective students may apply for the program after completing the prerequisite courses listed below.
The Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of The Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Health Education Programs 9355-113th St. N., #7709 Seminole, FL 33775 (727) 210-2350
Learn More. Earn More.
Program Student Learning Outcome Statement
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to their surgical condition and adjust the patient’s intraoperative plan of care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will analyze, compute and adjust operative equipment and instrument settings for the surgical patient in the perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers and patients in the perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in provision of intraoperative care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
A Look at Surgical Technology
|Human Anatomy or Human Anatomy/Physiology||Bio 260 or Bio 190||4 with lab|
|Medical Terminology||Medop 230||3|
The program accepts 20 students every fall semester. A complete application packet includes a physical exam and immunization forms and must be submitted during the application period listed below. Review the Application Checklist to ensure you have all of the required items to apply (click the "Surgical Technology Program Checklist for application packet" link found below).
Starting May 4, 2021, ST applications will be submitted online for Fall 2021 and future
Link to Online ST Application is found below.
Do not mail-in a paper application packet.
If you are interested in obtaining an Associate in Science Degree for this program, it is suggested you schedule an appointment with an Academic Counselor at a SWC campus to review the courses needed for the degree in Surgical Technology.
The cost of the Surgical Technology Program is approximately $2,900 - $3,060. The greatest direct expense is at the beginning of the first semester. Textbooks, enrollment fees, material fees, malpractice insurance and uniforms are the major cost items. Eligibility for financial aid can help offset the cost.
Program Class Schedule
Fall 2021 Application Period
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 7 am to Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5 pm
Submitting an application does not guarantee entry into the program.
Application Documents & Instructions
Before filling out the online application, gather all required documents and forms found on the checklist. Download, print and fill out the physical exam and immunization forms (pages 1-7). Pages 1-2 are filled out by you. Your healthcare provider/doctor will fill out pages 3-4 (physical exam) and pages 5-7 (immunizations, TB test results, and flu shot form). Scan your completed forms (pages 1-7 completely filled out); and a copy of your immunization records and/or titers (lab work), including flu shot, and TB test results.
Important note: Give yourself and your doctor/healthcare provider ample time to complete the physical exam/immunization forms.
Once you are ready to apply, you will upload the required documents and forms as attachments when you complete the online ST application using the button below.
- Surgical Technology Program Checklist for application packet (PDF)
- Physical Exam and Immunization Forms (PDF)
- Surgical Technology Program Prerequisites (PDF)
IMPORTANT: You must be logged in with your MySWC Account to apply. If you're having difficulty, go to https://accounts.google.com/logout to completely logout of all of your G Suite accounts, then try logging in with your MySWC.
Career Center Counseling Appointment
Get help choosing your classes, developing your Student Education Plan (SEP), or polishing your resume
Get the specifics