Important update about the program:
The Surgical Technology (ST) Program certificate option is being discontinued due to recent changes in accreditation. ST Program curriculum change was finalized November 2021. Students will need to complete associate degree program prerequisites and general education requirements prior to applying for the Fall of 2022 and future cohorts (scroll down the page for a list of program prerequisites and other requirements).
Operate Your Future
The Surgical Technology Program prepares the student to function in the operating room under the direct supervision of physicians and nurses. Surgical Technologists assist the surgeon during surgical procedures. Most work settings are in hospital operating rooms, emergency rooms and out-patient surgical clinics. The program is designed to prepare competent entry-level Surgical Technologist in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. Salaries in the San Diego area range from $42,000 to $52,000 per year to start.
The Surgical Technology Program is three semesters: fall, spring and summer. Prospective students may apply for the program after completing the prerequisites and other requirements listed below.
The Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of The Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Health Education Programs 9355-113th St. N., #7709 Seminole, FL 33775 (727) 210-2350
Learn More. Earn More.
Program Student Learning Outcome Statement
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to their surgical condition and adjust the patient’s intraoperative plan of care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will analyze, compute and adjust operative equipment and instrument settings for the surgical patient in the perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers and patients in the perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in provision of intraoperative care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
A Look at Surgical Technology
ST Prerequisite Courses & Other Requirements
ST Prerequisites and Other Requirements must be completed befor applying for the program.
Coursework in progress will not be accepted.
|Human Anatomy||BIOL 260||4 with lab|
|Medical Terminology||MEDOP 230||3|
|Microbiology||BIOL 265||4 with lab|
|*Intermediate Algebra I (or)
Elementary Statistics (or equivalent)
*MATH 60 has been discontinued and no longer offered
as of Summer 2023 but will be accepted if previously taken.
|College Composition (or equivalent)||ENGL 115||4|
|Interpersonal Communication||COMM 174||3|
|General Psychology||PSYC 101||3|
|One "Humanities GE" course from (GE-C)||For a list of courses, reference
SWC Catalog and/or meet with
The Surgical Technology Program accepts 20 students every fall semester. After completing program prerequisites and other requirements, you may submit your application packet during the application period. Grade point averge (G.P.A.) for program prerequisites and other requirements will be considered for admission into the program. Complete application packets will be given priority.
Surgical Technology Program application packets will be accepted:
May 1 - June 18, 2024
The ST Program application packet can be submitted in person or by U.S. Mail.
If sending by mail, it must be postmarked by the deadline to be considered.
- Download and review the Surgical Technology Program Checklist & Application (PDF) for details on all that is needed to apply.
- The required documents and forms on pages 1-2 must be submitted by the application deadline (June 18, 2024).
- If you are offered a seat in the program, additional documents and forms listed on page 3 will be submitted by specific dates provided to you by the Nursing & Health Occupation Programs (NHOP) Office.
Letters of acceptance will be emailed to SWC email accounts after the application deadline, and after all applications have been reviewed. Notifications will not be sent to personal email accounts.
The cost of the Surgical Technology Program is approximately $2,900 - $3,060 (cost is subject to change). The greatest direct expense is at the beginning of the first semester. Textbooks, enrollment fees, material fees, malpractice insurance and uniforms are the major cost items. Eligibility for financial aid can help offset the cost.
Program Class Schedule
Application Documents & Instructions
Use the Surgical Technology Program Checklist & Application (PDF) on pages 1-2 as a guide to help you prepare and gather all required documents and forms to apply for the program.
If you are offered a seat in the program, you will need to submit additional documents and forms by specific dates provided to you by the NHOP Office. Review page 3 of the Surgical Technology Program Checklist & Application (PDF) to get familiar with these additional documents and forms which will be required if you are offered a seat in the program. Acceptance into the program will be contingent upon the NHOP Office receiving these items by the given deadlines.
Update related to CoVid-19 vaccine: All major Healthcare Systems in San Diego County require students and faculty to be fully vaccinated for CoVid-19. Applicants to any Nursing and Health Occupations (ADN, VN-Step-up, VN, CNA, Acute Care CNA, Surgical Technology, Central Service Technician, and Operating Room Nurse) programs will be required to submit proof of vaccine status at time of application (Rev. 04-24-23).
- Surgical Technology Program Checklist & Application (PDF)
- Physical Exam and Immunization Forms (PDF)
- Surgical Technology Program Prerequisites (PDF)
Career Center Counseling Appointment
Get help choosing your classes, developing your Student Education Plan (SEP), or polishing your resume
Get the specifics