Operate Above the Rest
Designed to teach nurses to function in the operating room. A major portion of the experience will take place in operating rooms around San Diego, with opportunities to practice and circulate.
Learn More. Earn More.
Southwestern College’s Peri-operative Nursing Program has been offered since August 2011 and follows the AORN's PERIOP 101 curriculum. The program has widely received acknowledgment from the community for its signature Perioperative Nurses training.
It is helpful if students have clinical sponsors. Applicants are strongly recommended to have current basic nursing skills in all of the following areas: starting IV’s, administration of medication through IV, basic dosage calculations, taking vital signs, foley catheter placement, blood transfusions, dressing changes and interpersonal communication skills.
Upon completion of certification requirements, the graduate is eligible to apply to take the AORN Periop 101 certification examination for Registered Nursing.
Fall 2019 application period: April 22, 2019 at 9 am - July 8, 2019 at 11 pm
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE ENTRY INTO THE PROGRAM
REVISED ORN APPLICATION WILL BE POSTED BY MID-DECEMBER 2018
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in perioperative setting on issues related to patient care and planned interventions.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to their surgical condition and adjust the patient’s plan of care according to the findings.
- Analyze, compute and correctly provide medications and intravenous solutions to the patient in the perioperative setting.
- Demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers and patients in the perioperative setting.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in plan of care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
- RN License
- CPR Certificate
- Acceptance into the ORN program
A Look at Surgical Technology
Career Center Counseling Appointment
Get help choosing your classes, developing your Student Education Plan (SEP), or polishing your resume
Get the specifics