About Registered Nurses
A Registered Nurse (RN) has completed a minimum of two years of a specific nursing course of study and has successfully passed a State Board of Examination giving them a license to practice nursing.
The RN is a professional who is well versed in caring for patients in all stages of illness, including health promotion and disease prevention.
All Registered Nurses are required to continue their education on an ongoing basis. Documentation of courses completed must be submitted to the licensing authority every two years (in California, it is the Board of Registered Nursing).
For more information about military credit for previous coursework and experience for nursing and health occupation programs, open the SWC ADN Student Handbook (PDF).
The application period for Fall 2021: November 2, 2020 at 9am - February 18, 2021 at 12pm
- Review the checklist that accompanies the program application for details on all needed to apply.
- The application and physical exam/immunization forms must be filled out to be considered for the program. This is a clincal requirement.
- A note about transcripts and prerequisites completed at other college: If you attended
another college, request your previous educational institution(s) to send *official
transcripts directly to: SWC Admissions & Records Office at 900 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula
Vista, CA 91910.
- *SWC defines official transcripts as those sent directly from college to college. Transcripts in a student's hands are considered "unofficial transcripts," even if transcripts are in a sealed and stamped envelope
- Official transcripts must be received by Southwestern College, Admissions and Records Department before applying to the program.
- Program prerequisites completed outside of SWC must be cleared by the Prerequisites Office using a Program Enrollment form
- Download ADN Application and SWC Nursing Department physical exam/immunization forms by clicking the Admissions Procedures button below.
Please note: If a student fails out of ANY Nursing Program for unsafe clinical practice or a violation of professional, legal, or unethical conduct, they may be ineligible for admission to Southwestern College's Nursing Program.
All ADN, Step Up LVN-RN, and Vocational Nursing (VN) students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). For more information on the TEAS test and available test dates, please click on the TEAS Testing button on the main webpage of the nursing website.
San Diego State University Partnership
For more information on SDSU's Nursing Programs and transfer options/requirements, view the SDSU School of Nursing Transfer Requirements.
Programs available at SDSU are:
- BS in Nursing
- RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- LVN to RN