Southwestern Community College provides several vocational educational programs preparing students to serve the health needs of individuals in the community. The programs include:
- Associate Degree Nursing (ADN): a two-year program preparing students to work at the associate degree level in settings including (but not limited to) hospitals, community agencies, and home health. Currently licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) may apply for advance placement in the program through the LVN to RN Step-up Program
- Vocational Nursing (VN): a one-year (three semester) program preparing students to work in the community as vocational nurses
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): an eight- or sixteen-week program (depending on the semester) which qualifies students to take the State of California CNA certification examination. CNA’s work primarily in long-term and sub-acute health care setting and practice under the direction of a licensed nurse. The Acute Care CNA program is an additional eight-week class preparing students to work in acute hospital settings.
- Surgical Technician (ST): a one-year program preparing students to work in surgical rooms in hospitals and surgical centers. Graduates are qualified for surgical technician certification through a program nationally accredited by the Accrediting Review Council in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA)
- Operating Room Nursing (ORN): a one-semester program for currently licensed registered nurses to be certified as operating roon nurses
Nursing & Health Occupation Program Information Sessions
Update: Information Sessions will be POSTPONED until further notice. Revised 3/20/2020.
All accepted students for any of the nursing & health occupations programs will be required to complete the American Data Bank background check, urine drug screening and Complio immunizations prior to starting program.
Point Loma Nazarene University Partnership
Southwestern College is partnering with Point Loma Nazarene University to launch an extensive, on-site baccalaureate program with the university that offers students four bachelor degrees at the community college campus. Under the partnership, Southwestern College students who are accepted into Point Loma Nazarene University partnership programs can earn bachelor degrees in Nursing, Criminal Justice, Management & Relational Development, and Child & Adolescent Development without having to leave the Chula Vista district. The courses are offered at Southwestern.
Get In Touch
Higher Education Center at Otay Mesa
Building 4500, Room 4502
8100 Gigantic St
San Diego, CA 92154
Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 4:00pm
Friday 7:30am - 12:00pm
Saturday - Sunday Closed
Monday - Wednesday 7:30am - 4:00pm
Thursday 7:30am - 12:00pm
Friday - Sunday Closed