A Caring Career
Registered nurse has completed a minimum of two years of a specific nursing course of study and has successfully passed a State Board of Examination giving them a license to practice nursing.
The registered nurse is a professional who is well versed in caring for patients in all stages of illness, including health promotion and disease prevention. All registered nurses are required to continue their education on an ongoing basis. Documentation of courses completed must be submitted to the licensing authority every 2 years (in California, it is the Board of Registered Nursing).
Learn More. Earn More.
Prepares students for careers in nursing through the study of the humanities, natural/social sciences, and the field of nursing. Emphasis is on nursing theory and clinical practice. Graduates are eligible to apply to the California Board of Registered Nursing to take the examination for licensure as a registered nurse.
Students will learn:
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to actively participate and contribute to patient report meetings and patient/family conferences and analyze as well as prioritize the information obtained.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in the healthcare setting on issues regarding patient care.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will analyze, compute and correctly provide medications to the patient in the healthcare setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers, patients and family members.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in plan of care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
A Look at Becoming a Registered Nurse
Career Center Counseling Appointment
Get help choosing your classes, developing your Student Education Plan (SEP), or polishing your resume
Get the specifics