Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
All ADN, LVN-RN, and VN students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills .
Nursing Program Pre-Entrance Exam
Required: TEAS Exam Version 6
TEAS Version 6 was updated and released by ATI on August 31, 2016.
If you scored below 62% for SWC Associate Degree in Nursing/Registered Nursing (ADN/RN) Program or below 58% for SWC Vocational Nursing (VN Program), please see TEAS REMEDIATION PLAN below.
Important note: Due to COVID, the TEAS exam is being offered remotely. SWC Nursing will accept TEAS scores if a remote exam is taken. To take an exam, create an ATI account on the ATI website (www.atitesting.com) and select a testing institution setup to do remote proctoring (testing) (updated 08/25/20).
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) has been approved by the state as a pre-entrance exam for applicants to the Nursing Program. The TEAS measures basic essential skills in the academic content areas of reading, mathematics, science and English. The test has been developed by a private company, ATI Nursing Education and is offered at designated testing sites throughout the country. The TEAS test is not offered at Southwestern College. San Diego State University offers the TEAS locally.
Policy & General Information
Upon completion of all prerequisites, the prospective nursing student must take the Test of Essential Academic Skills at a designated testing site. The prospective nursing student who achieves a passing composite score will be considered for admission in conjunction with the required admission criteria. See grid below for passing scores. ADN/RN Program applicants are awarded points towards their application based on a passing TEAS score. The VN Program does not use a point system for admission but the TEAS score will be used to consider program admission.
Passing composite TEAS score:
- ADN/RN Program
62% or Higher
- VN Program
58% or Higher
The Nursing Department strongly recommends purchasing the TEAS study guide and two online practice exams in preparation for taking the TEAS exam. These materials, as well as additional study materials, are available for purchase on the ATI website at www.atitesting.com.
- Applicants to the Southwestern College Nursing Program must take the required current TEAS exam as part of the application requirements.
- You must have a composite TEAS score equal to or greater than 62% in order to apply to SWC Associate Degree in Nursing/Registered Nursing (ADN/RN) Program on your first attempt or a composite TEAS score equal to or greater than 58% if applying for SWC Vocational Nursing (VN) Program.
- You will earn application points based upon the TEAS test score. Refer to MULTI-CRITERIA POINTS FORMULA on the SWC Nursing Programs website - select ADN/RN or Step Up Program.
- If your score on the first TEAS test is 61% or less for the ADN/RN Program or 57% or less for the VN Program, you must complete remediation as outlined in the "TEAS REMEDIATION PLAN" below.
TEAS remediation needed if composite score is:
- ADN/RN Program
61% or Higher
- VN Program
57% or Higher
TEAS Remediation Plan
For applicants with an Adjusted TOTAL Score less than 62% for the ADN/RN Program or less than 58% for the VN Program.
The following remediation must be followed in order to apply to Southwestern College Nursing Program. The second TEAS test must be taken within a year after the first TEAS test was taken. Proof of remediation is required with your Nursing Program application.
In order to be successful, it is recommended you allow ample time to remediate (study). We do not recommend taking the second TEAS test within 30 days of your first attempt.
- Remediation is required for those scoring less than 62% on the TEAS test for the ADN/RN Program or less than 58% for the VN Program.
- Evidence of completion of a remediation program must be provided with your application to the Nursing Program. This can include proof of completion of a TEAS course or practice exams. Examples of proof of completion can be: a copy of your TEAS test prep certificate, a letter from your instructor indicating a test prep course was completed, OR a copy of your ATI TEAS transcript showing all tests and test prep taken.
- You may use one of the following methods for remediation:
- Attend a TEAS prep course. These are occasionally offered at various educational sites throughout the county; OR
- Review a TEAS study manual and take two practice TEAS tests from ATI at www.atitesting.com.
For questions, please contact Southwestern College Nursing Program at email@example.com.