Update related to CoVid-19 vaccine: As of September 30, 2021, all major Healthcare Systems in San Diego County require students and faculty to be fully vaccinated for CoVid-19. Applicants to any Nursing and Health Occupations (ADN, VN-Step-up, VN, CNA, Acute Care CNA, Surgical Technology, Central Service Technician, and Operating Room Nurse) programs will be required to submit proof of vaccine status at time of application.
Nursing & Health Occupation Program Information Sessions
Learn about our programs and how to apply by attending a virtual Information Session via Zoom. Please see the Information Session Flyer (PDF) for details and registration.
- Associate Degree Nursing (ADN): a two-year program preparing students to work at the associate degree level in settings including (but not limited to) hospitals, community agencies, and home health. Currently licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) may apply for advance placement in the program through the LVN to RN Step-up Program
- Vocational Nursing (VN): a one-year (three semester) program preparing students to work in the community as vocational nurses
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): an eight- or sixteen-week program (depending on the semester) which qualifies students to take the State of California CNA certification examination. CNA’s work primarily in long-term and sub-acute health care setting and practice under the direction of a licensed nurse. The Acute Care CNA program is an additional eight-week class preparing students to work in acute hospital settings.
- Surgical Technology (ST): a one-year program preparing students to work in surgical rooms in hospitals and surgical centers. Graduates are qualified for surgical technologist certification through a program nationally accredited by the Accrediting Review Council in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA)
- Operating Room Nursing (ORN): a one-semester program for currently licensed registered nurses to be certified as operating roon nurses
All accepted students for any of the nursing & health occupations programs will be required to complete the American Data Bank background check, urine drug screening and Complio immunizations prior to starting program.
Point Loma Nazarene University Partnership
Southwestern College is partnering with Point Loma Nazarene University to launch an extensive, on-site baccalaureate program with the university that offers students four bachelor degrees at the community college campus. Under the partnership, Southwestern College students who are accepted into Point Loma Nazarene University partnership programs can earn bachelor degrees in Nursing, Criminal Justice, Management & Relational Development, and Child & Adolescent Development without having to leave the Chula Vista district. The courses are offered at Southwestern.
Get In Touch
Higher Education Center at Otay Mesa
Building 4500, Room 4502
8100 Gigantic St
San Diego, CA 92154
Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 3:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 12:00pm
Saturday - Sunday Closed
Monday - Wednesday 9:00am - 3:00pm
Thursday 9:00am - 12:00pm
Friday - Sunday Closed