Where Do I Begin?

Matriculation is a partnership between the student and Southwestern College. This partnership offers access to services before the first day of class and continues throughout the Southwestern College educational experience.

Every student should follow these steps to matriculation:

1: Apply for Admission through Admission and Records

  • SUHSD high school seniors have the option of participating in the Early Admissions Program (EAP). See your high school counselor for further details or contact the Southwestern College Outreach Office at (619) 482-6518 or by email at outreach@swccd.edu.
  • If you were not registered for the previous semester, an admissions application must be submitted. Students must apply online.
  • New students will be given a temporary student ID and former students will use the same card previously issued.
  • If you attended previous colleges or universities and hope to use applicable coursework towards a certificate, an associates degree, or transfer to another university, an official transcript from every institution must be on file for evaluation. An official transcript must be sent by mail. Admissions & Records does not accept hand-carried envelopes.

2: Complete Assessment, Online Orientation & Advisement

Assessment and Placement at Southwestern College has changed!

  • Entering students don not need to take an assessment test any longer. For more information about the new placement process, please see the Assessment page.
  • Students with transcripts from previous accredited secondary institutions must submit an Official Transcript to Admissions & Records for evaluation.

The Online Orientation provides information about assessment results, pre-requisite requirements, general education, major requirements, college resources, transfer information, and registering for classes. 

  • The walk-in counter at the Counseling Center offers answers for short questions/advisement for students, and is not intended to replace a counseling session. Schedule counseling appointments to create a Student Education Plan (SEP), transfer, career, and personal counseling issues.

#3: Apply for Financial Aid, CCPG, FAFSA

The Financial Aid Office helps students who are unable to continue their education because of financial problems. Financial Aid means assistance for eligible students in the form of:

  • California College Promise Grant (CCPG, formerly Board of Governors Fee Waiver/BOG)-covers enrollment fees
  • Federal and State Grants-Grants range from $400 to $4,731
  • Federal Work Study-Work on campus, 15 hrs per week employment
  • Loans-Stafford and emergency loans; Loans range from $150 to $4,500

# 4: Register for Classes

You may register for classes on or after your assigned registration date, online or visit Admissions & Records to register in person:

  • All registration information and other related materials are sent to your email address, so make sure to have a current email address on file with the Admissions Office to receive your assigned registration appointment.
  • Clear any outstanding fees or holds (if applicable); contact the Cashier's Office at (619) 482-6307.
  • Meet pre-requisites. Unofficial transcripts can be used to clear prerequisites. Visit the Pre-requisite Review Counter for more information.You must have official transcripts on file once the semester begins in order to complete a Student Education Plan (SEP) at the counseling appointment.
  • View open/closed class lists.
  • Appointments to create a Student Education Plan (SEP), transfer, career and personal counseling issues.

# 5: Pay Fees

Federal and State Financial Aid are available for qualified students. Apply online at www.finaid.org or visit the Financial Aid Office at any college location for assistance.

You may pay fees online through Web Advisor, in person at the Cashier’s Office located at all campus sites, or by phone. To pay by phone call Cashiering at (619) 482-6307. Students may pay fees by credit card, check/money order, or in cash. As of Fall 2019, the enrollment fee is $46 per unit.


  • There are two drop for nonpayment dates per semester. You may see these dates on the Important Dates page. Students MAY BE DROPPED from classes if fees are not paid to make seats available for other students
  • Students registering for classes after the semester starts won’t be dropped but will incur a financial obligation to the college AND a hold will be placed on their records if payment is not received This hold blocks future registration, obtaining transcripts, grades, diplomas, or verification of enrollment until fees are paid.

6: Access College Services

You don’t have to go through this alone. Use the following resources:

  • Counseling Center: Schedule an individual counseling appointment after the second week of the semester with a College Counselor to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP) and a Semester By Semester (SxS) plan.If you have attended colleges or universities elsewhere, Southwestern College must have the official transcripts as soon as possible. You may bring an unofficial transcript for advisement purposes only when meeting with the counselor but in order to complete an SEP, official transcript must be on file. Please have official transcripts sent to Southwestern College Admissions & Records Office once the semester begins.
  • The Counseling Center provides Personal Wellness Services to students. If you are experiencing a crisis, please contact us immediately at 421 6700 ext. 5279
  • Career Center take career assessments, learn about professional and career options. 
  • Transfer Center offers university transfer information and various workshops
  • CTECS and Women’s Resource Center offers support for students enrolled in Career-Tech majors or female students needing support
  • Extended Opportunities Program & Services (EOPS) offers additional academic and counseling support
  • Disabled Support Services (DSS) students with disabilities receive academic and counseling support and academic accommodations based on individual needs.
  • Veteran Services provides assistance to veterans and dependents who may be eligible for various educational benefits.

#7:  Take a Tour

Take a tour of the college campus, find your classrooms, the Library, and Academic Success Center (ASC) for tutoring needs.

#8: Attend

Attend the first day of class and purchase your books early!