California College Promise Grant

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG), formerly known as the Board of Governors' Fee Waiver (BOGFW), is a state funded program which is available to California residents* who meet the specific income eligibility requirements. To apply for the 2019-20 academic year, visit the California College Promise Grant page.

The program waives only the current Enrollment Fee of $46 per unit. Students are responsible for paying any fees not covered by the award at the time of registration to avoid being dropped for non-payment. Student Health fees, Student Center fees and parking fees may be reduced or waived under qualifying CCPG standards (see "Types of CA College Promsie Grants", below). The CCPG will be awarded for the entire academic year which includes the (Summer, Fall and Spring) semesters.

*Note: California Residency status is determined by the Registrar at the SWC Admissions Office.

Applying for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG)

There are two ways to apply for the CCPG: 

It is always best to complete your FAFSA of California Dream Act application for the CCPG. Many students do not qualify for a Method A or Method B, but will qualify for a Method C  and additional financial aid funds by completing the FAFSA. If you are an undocumented student, you can complete the California Dream Application instead of the FAFSA. 

IMPORTANT! If you have already paid the enrollment fees for your classes, and then recevei the CCPG, you may request a refund of your paid frees from the Cashier's Office, located in the Cesar Chavez Center, First floor, or at the Student Services counter at any of the Higher Education Centers.


To qualify for CCPG, you must be a California resident or eligible AB 540 student and meet the eligibility requirements for Method A, B or C. Each type of CCPG has different eligiblity requirements.  Please see below for more information on each. 

If awarded the CCPG, there are no minimum or maximum unit requirements for the program.

IMPORTANT! If you do not qualify for the California College Promise Grant, you may be eligible for the Southwestern College Promise, whihc also waives enrollment fees. However, eligiblity requirements differ. For more information, visit Southwestern College Promise page. 

Types of California College Promise Grants

AB540 Students

Under AB131, students who are registered as AB540 students are entitled to apply for a CCPG and should complete the CCPG application at the link above. For students needing to qualify under the CCPG-C, students with a valid SSN should complete the FAFSA application and students without a valid SSN should complete the California Dream Application.  Follow this link for more information on AB540 eligibility and the California Dream Act

CCPG Academic/Progress Eligiblity Requirements

Students are required to meet academic/progress standards to maintain eligibility for CCPG. Students who are placed on academic and/or progress probation or disqualified (DQ) in two consecutive primary terms (Fall/Spring) will lose eligibility for CCPG at the next registration opportunity.

Academic - Sustain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/spring quarters), you may lose your eligibility.

Progress Complete more than 50% of your coursework
If the cumulative number of units you complete is not more than 50% in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/spring quarters), you may lose your eligibility.

Combination of Academic and Progress Standards
Any combination of two consecutive terms of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative unit completion of not more than 50% may result in loss of California College Promise Grant (BOGW)eligibility.

How will I know if I lose eligibility?

If you lose eligibility for the CCPG, you will be notified within 30 days of losing eligibility. You have several options to regain eligibility:

 - Improve your GPA or course completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards
 - Successfully appeal the loss of California College Promise Grants by completing a CCPG Appeal Form and submitting it to the Financial Aid Office.
 - "Sit out" by not attending SWC for two consecutive primary terms (Fall/Spring)

The appeals process for extenuating circumstances includes:
 - Verified accidents, illness or other circumstances beyond your control
 - Changes in economic situation
 - Evidence of inability to obtain essential support services
 - Special consideration factors for CalWORKs, EOPS, DSPS and veteran students
 - Disability accommodations not received in a timely manner

Please note that foster youth and former foster youth (age 24 years and younger) and students receiving the CalVet waiver are not subject to loss of the CCPG under these regulations. If you have questions or need assistance with the CCPG, please contact the Financial Aid Office. If you need assistance on issues about residency, please contact the Admissiosn & Records Office.

What's the process to appeal?
  1. Complete the appeal form, which can be found at Financial Aid Forms page under "Appeal Forms". Fill the form out completely and accurately, checking the correct reason for your appeal and including all required documentation.
  2. Submit your appeal packet to the Financial Aid Office, at the Chula Vista campus or any of the Higher Education Centers. Any missing information or documentation will delay the processing of your appeal.
  3. Processing takes 2-3 weeks. Please check your SWC email account for an update from the Financial Aid office or check your My Financial Aid acount (via the My SWC portal) for updated information. 
  4. We are here to help! If you are struggling with your classes, please take the opportunity to meet with your counselor, who can help you find and take advantage of the many reosurces and support services that are available to you.  Your sucess is our priority!