Applicants for the Dental Hygiene program must be proficient in several subject areas. Prerequisites include courses in life sciences, reading and composition, speech and oral communication, psychology, sociology and college level math. Prior to applying to the program, students must have completed the prerequisite courses.
Please Note: It is the policy of SWC to require all prerequisite courses be completed and recency requirements met and proof of such received by the application deadline. No “In Progress” work is accepted.
It is strongly recommended that General Education and Graduation & Proficiency Requirements be met prior to entering the program.
For advisement of prior college course work as it pertains to program requirements, please schedule an appointment to meet with an academic counselor. Appointments can be made by contacting the Higher Education Center at National City at (619) 216-6665 x4851 or x4862. Dental Hygiene Program staff is unable to make any pre-determination (by phone or email) of course work accepted for program admission.
Become a Dental Hygiene Student
- Dental Hygiene Program Mission, Philosophy, and Introduction (PDF)
- Dental Hygiene Program Information Packet (PDF)
- FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Estimated Costs to Students (PDF)
- Compliance for Clinicial Experience and Courses (PDF)
- Technical Standards for Dental Hygiene (PDF)
- Graduation Requirements (PDF)
- Examinations for Licensing (PDF)