Next Course Starts: Saturday, January 8, 2022
POST Regular Basic Course - Extended
Scroll down page for timelines, entry application documents, training schedule and cost.
Open and read each attached link under "Important Documents" and follow the instructions listed in the first document titled "STEPS TO APPLY", this attachment includes a "Check-List" on page-3, all requirements and documents must be included before submitting via email to email@example.com.
The Police Academy Office will not have (face to face) office hours during this application process under COVID-19, please email your questions and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses to questions will be made by the end of day.
VACCINATIONS REQUIRED of Students prior to enrollment into courses:
SWC Returns: Safe Reopening Plan, please view more Information on student in person face to face requirements.
Download and save all the documents listed below to your computer before getting started.
- STEPS TO APPLY (PDF) - Includes requirements and instructions on how to apply
- Program Entry Application (PDF) Form - Application (16-pages)
- Authorization to Release Information (Word) - Release waiver must be signed by all applicants
- Line Paper Page (PDF) - 3-Pages of line paper to be used for hand-written essay/autobiography as stated in the STEPS TO APPLY
- Prerequisite Evaluation Program Enrollment - This form is only used if you are submitting college transcripts from a college other
than Southwestern College. DO NOT complete this form if you have not attended a community
Access the Prerequisite Pre-Enrollment Form.
Acrobat Reader is needed to complete the fillable Program Entry Application form.
Timelines are subject to change: It is important that you clear your calendar to be available for all dates/times listed below.
- APPLICATION PROCESS STARTS: Monday, August 2, 2021
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, October 29, 2021 @ 5:00 pm
- PHYSICAL AGILITY TESTING: TBA (November)
- ORAL INTERVIEWS: TBA (November)
- ORIENTATION 1: TBA (November/December)
- ORIENTATION 2: TBA (November/December)
- DAY-1 ACADEMY BEGINS: Saturday, January 8, 2022 @ 8:00 am
Contact Police Academy Office with questions via email communication at email@example.com
Evening Program-Meeting Days/Times: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 1800-2200, plus Saturdays 0800-1700.
Prerequisites to apply for AJ 41-Basic Police Academy I: High School Diploma/GED, No Felony Convictions, Valid CA Driver License, College GPA 2.0 or higher, meet eligibility for English 114, Reading 158 or Proficiency, Math 35.
Prerequisite to apply for AJ 42-Basic Police Academy II: Completion of AJ 41-Basic Police Academy I, before enrolling in AJ 42-Basic Police Academy II.
Estimated Cost: for 10-1/2 months of training: $4,500 to $5,000
Course description from college catalog:
The Police Academy is a Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) Certificated Training Academy for California law enforcement. It meets the basic requirement for employment as a municipal, county and state law enforcement officer. State law requires completion of a POST-Certified Basic Course for lateral-entry level employment in law enforcement. The Police Academy is made up of two phases (two semesters), which requires 10-1/2 months to complete. (AJ 41– Police Academy I = 12.5 Units and AJ 42 – Police Academy II = 12.5 Units)