POST Regular Basic Course
Scroll down page for timelines, entry application documents, training schedule and cost.
Open and read each attached link under "Important Documents" and follow the instructions listed in the first document titled "STEPS TO APPLY", this attachment includes a "Check-List" on page-3, all requirements and documents on the checklist must be met and included before submitting via email to email@example.com.
VACCINATIONS REQUIRED of Students prior to enrollment of in-person courses.
Download and save all the documents listed below to your computer before getting started.
- STEPS TO APPLY (PDF) - Includes requirements and instructions on how to apply
- How to Apply to Southwestern College - Required of all Returning Students (activate ID) and New Students (create a new ID)
- Program Entry Application (PDF) Form - Application (16-pages)
- Authorization to Release Information (Word) - Release waiver must be signed by all applicants
- Line Paper Page (PDF) - 3-Pages of line paper to be used for hand-written essay/autobiography as stated in the STEPS TO APPLY
- Program Enrollment Prerequisite Evaluations can be requested by completing the Program Enrollment Prerequisite Evaluation Request
form. NOTE: This form is only used if you are submitting college transcripts from a college
other than Southwestern College.
Access the online form by clicking on this link: Program Enrollment Prerequisite Evaluation Request
Acrobat Reader is needed to complete the fillable Program Entry Application form.
Timelines are subject to change: It is important that you clear your calendar to be available for all dates/times listed below.
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS NOW through application deadline:
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, October 28, 2022
- PHYSICAL AGILITY TESTING: Saturday, October 29, 2022
- ORAL INTERVIEWS: Monday, October 31 through Friday, November 4, 2022
- ORIENTATION 1: Thursday, December 1, 2022 @ 6:00pm
- ORIENTATION 2: Saturday, December 3, 2022 @ 7:00am
- DAY-1 ACADEMY BEGINS: Saturday, January 7, 2023 @ 8:00 am
Contact Police Academy Office at 619-482-6462 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Evening Program-Meeting Days/Times: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 1800-2200, plus Saturdays 0800-1700.
Prerequisites to apply for AJ 41-Basic Police Academy I: High School Diploma/GED, No Felony Convictions, Valid CA Driver License, College GPA 2.0 or higher, meet eligibility for English 114, Reading 158 or Proficiency, Math 35.
Prerequisite to apply for AJ 42-Basic Police Academy II: Completion of AJ 41-Basic Police Academy I, before enrolling in AJ 42-Basic Police Academy II.
Estimated Cost: for 10-1/2 months of training: $4,500 to $5,000
Course description from college catalog:
The Police Academy is a Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) Certificated Training Academy for California law enforcement. It meets the basic requirement for employment as a municipal, county and state law enforcement officer. State law requires completion of a POST-Certified Basic Course for lateral-entry level employment in law enforcement. The Police Academy is made up of two phases (two semesters), which requires 10-1/2 months to complete. (AJ 41– Police Academy I = 12.5 Units and AJ 42 – Police Academy II = 12.5 Units)