Where Do I Begin?

Matriculation is a partnership between the student and Southwestern College. This partnership offers access to services before the first day of class and continues throughout the Southwestern College educational experience. Every student should follow these steps to matriculation:

Step 1: Apply for Admission through Admission and Records

  • SUHSD high school seniors have the option of participating in the Early Admissions Program (EAP). See your high school counselor for further details or contact the Southwestern College Outreach Office at (619) 482-6518 or by email at outreach@swccd.edu.
  • If you were not registered for the previous semester, an admissions application must be submitted. Students must apply online.
  • New students will be given a temporary student ID and former students will use the same card previously issued.
  • If you attended previous colleges or universities and hope to use applicable coursework towards a certificate, an associates degree, or transfer to another university, an official transcript from every institution must be on file for evaluation. An official transcript must be sent by mail. Admissions & Records does not accept hand-carried envelopes.

Step 2: Complete Assessment, Online Orientation & Advisement

Math and English placements are processed by our Assessment Center. Beginning with the Summer and Fall 2019 terms, students do not need to take an assessment test

  • Many courses require certain proficiency levels for Math, Reading and Writing.
  • You may bypass the assessment process if you successfully completed any Math, Reading and Writing courses at another college, or have either AP or IB credit. Bring an unofficial copy of your transcripts to the Prerequisite Review Counter next to the Assessment Center for review. Prerequisites for other courses may also be cleared there.
  • Students with transcripts from previous accredited secondary institutions must submit an Official Transcript to Admissions & Records for evaluation.

The Online Orientation provides information about assessment results, prerequisite requirements, general education, major requirements, college resources, transfer information, and registering for classes.

The walk-in counter at the Counseling Center offers answers for short questions/advisement for students, and is not intended to replace a counseling session. Schedule counseling appointments to create a Student Education Plan (SEP), transfer, career, and personal counseling issues.

Step 3: Apply for Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office helps students who are unable to continue their education because of financial problems. Financial Aid means assistance for eligible students in the form of:

  • California College Promise Grant (CCPG) covers enrollment fees
  • Federal and State Grants-Grants range from $400 to $4,731
  • Federal Work Study: work on campus, employed 15 hours per week
  • Loans: Stafford and emergency loans range from $150 to $4,500

Step 4: Register for Classes

You may register for classes online, on or after your assigned registration date, or visit Admissions & Records to register in person.

  • All registration information and other related materials are sent to your SWC email address.
  • Clear any outstanding fees or holds (if applicable); contact the Cashier's Office at (619) 482-6314.
  • Meet prerequisites. Unofficial transcripts can be used to clear prerequisites. Visit the Prerequisite Review Counter for more information.You must have official transcripts on file once the semester begins in order to complete a Student Education Plan (SEP) at the counseling appointment.
  • View open/closed class lists.
  • Appointments are available to create a Student Education Plan (SEP), transfer, career and personal counseling issues.

Step 5: Pay Fees

Federal and State Financial Aid are available for qualified students. Apply online at www.fafsa.gov or visit the Financial Aid Office at any college location for assistance.

You may pay fees online through Self-Service for Students/Financial Information on MySWC, in person at the Cashier’s Office located at all campus sites, or by phone at (619) 482-6314. Students may pay fees by credit card, check/money order, or in cash. As of Fall 2019, the enrollment fee is $46 per unit. For other expenses, view Tuition and Fees.


  • Fees are due before the date of drop for non-payment. For drop dates, please see our Important Dates page. To make seats available for other students, you MAY BE DROPPED from classes if fees are not paid.
  • Students registering for classes after the semester starts won’t be dropped, but will incur a financial obligation to the college AND a hold will be placed on their records if payment is not received. This hold blocks future registration, obtaining transcripts, grades, diplomas, or verification of enrollment until fees are paid.

Step 6: Access College Services

You don’t have to go through this alone. Use the following resources:

  • Counseling Center:
    • Provides Personal Wellness Services to students. If you are experiencing a crisis, please contact us immediately at (619) 421 6700 x5279.
    • Schedule an individual counseling appointment after the second week of the semester with a College Counselor to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP) and a Semester By Semester (SxS) plan.If you have attended colleges or universities elsewhere, Southwestern College must have the official transcripts as soon as possible. You may bring an unofficial transcript for advisement purposes only when meeting with the counselor but in order to complete an SEP, official transcript must be on file. Please have official transcripts sent to Southwestern College Admissions & Records Office once the semester begins.
  • Career Center take career assessments, learn about professional and career options.
  • Transfer Center offers university transfer information and various workshops.
  • CTECS and Women’s Resource Center offers support for students enrolled in Career-Tech majors or female students needing support.
  • Extended Opportunities Program (EOP) offers additional academic and counseling support.
  • Disabled Support Services (DSS) students with disabilities receive academic and counseling support and academic accommodations based on individual needs.
  • Veteran Services provides assistance to veterans and dependents who may be eligible for various educational benefits.

Step 7:  Take a Tour

Take a virtual tour of the college campus or email our Outreach department at outreach@swccd.edu for campus tours for groups of 15 persons or more. Find your classrooms, the Library, and Academic Success Center (ASC) for tutoring needs.

Step 8: Attend

Attend the first day of class and purchase your books early!