Registration Policies & Definitions

Adding Closed Classes

Once classes start, students need to attend the first class meeting to obtain instructor approval to enroll. If space permits, the instructor will issue an add code or sign an add form. Students can use add codes on MySWC or may submit signed add forms to Admissions or any Higher Education Center for processing. For online classes, email the instructor to request an add-code for enrollment. If there is space available, the instructor will issue an add code via email which can be used to enroll on MySWC.

IMPORTANT: Students on the waitlist will be given first priority if space becomes available.

Cancelled Class

A cancelled class means that the college is unable to offer the class. The College reserves the right to cancel any class after the class schedule goes to print.

Closed Class

A class will close when the maximum seat capacity has been reached. During registration when a class is closed, a waitlist is created. A student wanting to register for a closed class after class begins (the first class meeting), must personally go to the class or contact the instructor via email for online classes.
See entry above “Adding Closed Classes” for additional information.

Corequisites (Concurrent Enrollment)

When a class has a corequisite, students must register for one or more classes (often a lecture and lab) concurrently. Knowing the information being presented in the corequisite course is deemed necessary for successful completion of the other course. When dropping or withdrawing from a course that has a co requisite, both courses must be dropped or withdrawn concurrently. Students may challenge corequisites; see College Catalog for challenge policy and procedures.

Course Repetition & Course Withdrawal 

Students may enroll in a course a maximum of three times only if substandard grades (D, F, NC or NP) or ‘Withdrawal symbols have previously been received.  If the student can demonstrate extenuating circumstances requiring one additional repetition, the student may petition and attach the supporting documentation. The petition will be evaluated by the Dean of Student Services or Petition Review Committee. Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student.

Duplicate Course

Students may not register for two classes with the same course number and title

High School Special Admit

High school students who are enrolled in grades 9–12 with a minimum grade point average of 2.5 may be admitted for concurrent enrollment at SWC. A High School Special Form, signed by the high school principal is required. All necessary forms and instructions are available on the Admissions and Records website printable forms area, and in the Admissions and Records office. Enrollment is limited to no more than two classes or six units per semester or summer session. See the SWC College Catalog for more information.

Students enrolled in home school programs must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. The home school program must be affiliated with a county department of education program.
  2. Must be taught by a person holding a California teaching credential, or
  3. Must hold a current private school affidavit filed with the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Limitation on Enrollment

Performance courses may require students to try out for intercollegiate athletic teams or to audition for courses involving public performances prior to enrollment.

Enrollment in blocks of courses or sections may be a requirement so that a group of students will enroll together in that set of classes. Typically the students are part of a special program such as a Learning Community. Enrollment may be limited due to legal requirements (imposed by statute, regulation, and/or contract). For example, some courses may require that the student have a valid driver license, a health clearance, a nursing license or certificate, etc.

Maximum Units/Hours

Students are allowed to enroll in a maximum of 19 units for fall/spring semester.


When a course has a prerequisite, students must have specific knowledge or skills to register for and be successful in the course. The prerequisite can be a skill, an assessment result or successful completion (grade of A, B, C, or P has been earned) in a prior course. If prerequisites were completed at another college or university, students must bring copies of appropriate transcripts/grade reports and/or assessment results to the Assessment Center to clear the requirements prior to registration. Students may challenge prerequisites; see College Catalog for challenge policy and procedures.

Recommended Preparation

A course or previous training that a student should complete - but is not required to complete – to help ensure success in the indicated course. Completion of the recommended preparation course with a grade of “C” or better increases student success. You are strongly encouraged to follow recommended preparation whenever they are listed in the class schedule to improve your chances for success. Enrollment may not be denied to any student not meeting a recommended preparation.

Recommended Concurrent Enrollment

A course that a student should complete, but is not required to complete, while enrolled in another course. You are strongly encouraged to follow recommended concurrent enrollment whenever they are listed in the class schedule to improve your chances for success. Enrollment may not be denied to any student not meeting a recommended concurrent enrollment.  

Registration Statement

The registration statement is proof of enrollment and/or waitlist status in classes. Registration statements can be obtained through MySWC at any time. Students should review their registration statements carefully to verify registration, class meeting days and times, locations and fee payment. Instructors, labs and any office on campus may request to see a student’s Registration Statement prior to providing services.

See a Counselor

It is recommended that you meet with a counselor for assistance in the evaluation and selection of your educational or occupational goals and to relate your selection of classes to your abilities and objectives. The advice you receive will be based on many different factors, such as your assessment results, your transcripts, and your educational or career technical goals. To schedule appointments with counselors, start by filing a Student Success Needs Assessment with the Counseling Center and soon after you will be provided a plan for success.

Thirty Unit Remediation Limit

Students will not receive credit for more than 30 units of remedial or basic skills courses in the district. A student who exhausts this unit limitation will be referred to appropriate noncredit continuing education services.

Time Conflict/Class Overlay

Students are not permitted to register for two classes that are scheduled during the same or overlapping time periods, even if the instructor will allow it. This includes online and/or hybrid courses with mandatory on-campus meetings that conflict with other on-campus courses. Class overlays are only allowed under special circumstances with appropriate dean approval.


Waitlists will become available at the beginning of registration period as classes fill.  As a student drops from the class roster, the first student on the waitlist will be sent an email to inform them to register in the additional class.  The student will have 3 days to register in the class or will be dropped from the waitlist.  The student will be instructed to go to MySWC to either make payment for their class or drop the class.  Check email or MySWC frequently for possible enrollment in a waitlisted course.  Students who are on a waitlist and then enroll in additional section of the same course are dropped from the waitlist. Note: Students without an email address or who do not meet eligibility requirements will not be moved into the class. The waitlist is used during the first class meeting.  If space permits, instructors will issue an add code to enter on MySWC or take to Admissions or any Higher Education Center for processing.

NOTE: Refer to the current college catalog for additional important terms