Apply for Degree/Certificate
Southwestern College offers Associate in Arts/Science degrees for Transfer (ADT), Associate in Arts/Science degrees as well as Certificates of Achievement and Certificates of Proficiency. Please see below for important information about the petition process. If you have applied for CSU admission indicating an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) major, select the tab from the list on the left.
- If you think you are ready to graduate, or have 45 or more units, you are strongly encouraged to see your counselor for a graduation review. This will help determine how close you are to completing your course of study and if you are ready to submit your petition.
- GEBR/IGETC Certification - if you will be transferring to a CSU or UC institution in the future, you may need a GEBR or IGETC Certification. To apply or for specific information, please use the IGETC/GEBR certification tab on the left.
- Students do not automatically receive a degree or certificate upon completion of all program requirements, but must submit a petition to begin the evalaution process. If you are petitioning for more than one degree or certificate, please complete a separate petition for each.
- All official transcripts from all colleges attended must be mailed or sent electronically directly to the Admissions Office (no hand-carried transcripts are accepted) and be on file at the time your petition is submitted. Missing or incomplete transcripts can cause petitions to be delayed or denied. Mailed transcripts should be directed to Southwestern College Admissions, 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910. Electronic transcripts should be directed to Admissions, email@example.com.
- Transcripts for all previous coursework are required whether or not credits will be included in the degree evaluation.
- Certificates of Proficiency (17 or less units) will not be listed on the official transcript and are not recognized at the Commencement Ceremony.
- After submitting your online petition, you will receive a confirmation response. When the evaluation process has been completed, you will receive an email from us notifying you of your graduation petition status.
- If your petition is denied, you must submit another petition for a subsequent semester after any missing coursework or documentation has been completed.
Graduation Petition Filing Periods
Petitions must be received prior to the deadline date and will only be processed for the semester in which they are received.
July 2—November 1
November 2—March 1
March 2—July 1
ADT Petition Filing Periods
CSU applicants with a declared AA-T or AS-T degree must apply for their ADT by the following deadlines:
Fall applicants: October 1
Spring applicants: February 1
Important note before petitioning: Use the catalog Programs page to verify your major code—you will need this code to petition for graduation.