About Registered Nurses
A Registered Nurse has completed a minimum of two years of a specific nursing course of study and has successfully passed a State Board of Examination giving them a license to practice nursing.
The RN is a professional who is well versed in caring for patients in all stages of illness, including health promotion and disease prevention.
All Registered Nurses are required to continue their education on an ongoing basis. Documentation of courses completed must be submitted to the licensing authority every 2 years (in California, it is the Board of Registered Nursing).
- Click here for ADN Program Outcomes
Military Credit for Previous Coursework & Experience for Nursing & Health Occupation Programs
- Click here for military credit information
Please note: If a student fails out of ANY Nursing Program for unsafe clinical practice or a violation of professional, legal, or unethical conduct, they may be ineligible for admission to Southwestern College's Nursing Program.
The application period for Fall 2019 is October 1, 2018 at 9:00 am - January 31, 2019 at 3:00 pm.
- Students must submit a complete application packet with unofficial transcripts, which includes Nursing Department physical exam and immunization forms
- Prior to submitting your application, official transcripts must be submitted directly from your educational institution to the SWC Admissions & Records Office at 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910.
- You must also have a current SWC Student ID # at the time of application.
- Applications must be accompanied by a complete physical exam and up-to-date immunizations documented on Nursing Department forms (download form from website).
Test of Essential Academic Skills
All ADN, LVN-RN, and LVN students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). For more information on the TEAS test and available test dates, please click on the TEAS Testing link on the sidebar.
San Diego State University
School of Nursing Transfer Requirements: ADN students
San Diego State University Partnership
For more information on SDSU's Nursing Programs and transfer options/requirements, click on the link in the box on the right hand side.
Programs available at SDSU are:
- BS in Nursing
- RN to BSN
- MS in Nursing
- LVN to RN