Computer Science is the youngest of the sciences and focuses on the study of computer software, architecture, theory, and applications. This discipline explores computing theory and symbolic computation, the nature of computer architecture and operating systems, data communications, graphics, software engineering, mathematical applications, robotics, artificial intelligence, and system software.
There are many curriculum choices open to students interested in the science of computers. Students interested in the hardware aspect of computers should look at the vocational and transfer courses offered in engineering and electronics programs. Students interested in the operations aspect of computers should review the programs offered in computer information systems and computer literacy courses.
The Computer Science program at SWC focuses on the programming or software aspect of computer science and offers three academic pathways from which to choose:
- Transfer preparation associate degree for students who plan to transfer and major in computer science
- Career/Technical associate degree for students seeking employment at the technician level in science or mathematics fields
- Career/Technical certificate
Associate Degree in Computer Science for Transfer - Associate in Science Transfer
- Program Associate Degree in Computer Science for Transfer
- Award Type Associate in Science Transfer
- Major Code 01185
- Field of Study Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Department Mathematics
- School/Location School of Mathematics, Science & Engineering