California College Fee Waiver Program
Under the California Education Code, dependents of veterans whose death or disability was service-connected may be eligible for exemption from many college or university fees. Applications and information are available at the Veterans Service Office, located in the Cesar Chavez Student Services Center, First Floor or at the San Diego County Veterans Services Office. Click here to go to the Cal Vet webpage for updates on the form and/or restrictions on eligibility.
Instructions for students:
- Download or pick up a Cal Vet Fee Waiver packet. Complete College Fee Waiver Form DVS 40. Be sure to read the application instructions thoroughly. CDVA will not process your request if the application is incomplete or missing any information.
- Submit completed DVS 40 Form along with all supporting documents to the County Veterans Services Office (address is on application).
- We strongly encourage that you also complete the California Community Colleges Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) as you may be eligible for a waiver of other fees, such as health, student center, parking, etc.
- Go to www.swccd.edu/financialaid
- Under “Apply for Financial Aid” click on link for BOGFW application.
- Follow instructions in OpenCCC.
- Print the “BOGFW Waiver Confirmation” page.
- Once you receive your eligibility letter from CDVA, bring the letter along with your “BOG Fee Waiver Confirmation” (only if you applied) to Southwestern College Veterans Services Office.
Your award is good for one academic year (which for BOGFW runs summer, fall and spring of each year). To ensure ongoing benefits, students are required to reapply each year.
Note: A student must be a California resident to apply for the CDVA College Fee Waiver and will be ineligible if he/she is already receiving VA Chapter 35 benefits.