There are many resources available to student veterans, a number of which are listed and hyperlinked below. There are also additional resources and information on regional and community programs at the Veterans' Resource Center (VRC), Room 18 A-101.
Notice: These opportunities and organizations are not directly affiliated with Southwestern College. SWC is neither endorsing nor receiving support from any of these entities. They are provided as a public service only.
General resources for veterans and their families
- US Department of Veterans Affairs
- Office of Military & Veterans Affairs - County of San Diego
- Resources for Assisting Veterans (PDF)
- VA San Diego Healthcare System Resource Guide (PDF)
- Courage to Call - Helpline for Veterans, Military & Families
- Veterans Crisis Line
- Women Veteran Program - Department of Labor
- Joining Forces for Women Veterans and Military / Veteran Spouses Mentoring Plus (Facebook group)
- MakeTheConnection.net — Transitioning From Service
- Student Veterans of America
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Vietnam Veterans of America
- Disabled American Veterans
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- American Legion
- Military Order of the Purple Heart
- State Help for Returning Veterans
- State Veterans Benefits Websites, Programs, & Organizations - by State
- The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Facebook group)
- Veterans Coming Home
Job Resources for Veterans
- VA for Vets
- GI Jobs
- Feds Hire Vets
- Military.com Veterans Jobs
- Vet Jobs
- Hire Purpose
- eBenefits Veterans employment Center
- Free Year of Lynda.com Courses! LinkedIn and the DVA have partnered to provide veterans with free online classes.
- Pipelines is a program for paid summer positions in naval engineering and science.
- Next Mission is a free online course for veterans and active duty members on Stress, Resilience, and Post-Traumatic Growth.
- Operation Connect provides mentored professional development training. See schedule.
- Onward to Opportunity Program. Free occupational skills training for transitioning vets and their families.
- Veteran-preference nation-wide restaurant management positions available.
- Software discounts for community college students.
- Mentorships for Veterans through American Corporate Partners. Read about leaders as mentors.
If you are aware of an opportunity that veteran students may be interested in, please feel free to contact the VSO at email@example.com.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.