The SWC Child Development Center, Family Studies Department and Associated Student Organization (ASO) began the Jag Kitchen Food Pantry to assist students facing food insecurity. Now, a campus wide effort, the Jag Kitchen is a safe and judgment-free zone that can be used by currently enrolled SWC students needing assistance. Since the inception of the Jag Kitchen in the Chula Vista campus in 2016, Jag Kitchenettes were made in Higher Education Centers in San Ysidro and National City!
The Jag Kitchenette at the Higher Education Center in San Ysidro is located in the Student Center. Donations are accepted in the Administration Office, Room 5101, year-round. While we do have a donation item list that our students are always in need of, monetary donations are also accepted and much appreciated.
- SWC Students with a valid SWC identification card.
- No eligibility forms or proof of income is necessary.
- Sign in with a Jag Kitchen volunteer.
Donation Item List
We are asking for donations of any of the items listed below. For any other questions please contact Patie M. Bartow at firstname.lastname@example.org or Corina Elizarraras (619) 216-6793. Donations can be made in the Administration Office, Room 5101.
Send via mail to:
Southwestern College Foundation
Attn: Jag Kitchen / Food Pantry at San Ysidro
900 Otay Lakes Rd., Rm. 100D
Chula Vista, CA 91910
In the News
- Southwestern College Launches Jag Kitchen Food Pantry
- SDUT: College seeks to feed hungry students
- ABC 10: South Bay leaders meet to figure out how to feed thousands who are going without food
- CW6: Southwestern College takes action to end student hunger
- KBNT Univision News Segment on the Jag Kitchen
- Report Finds Many Students Battle Hunger
For more information on how you can volunteer or find help for a student:
Food Insecurity Planning Committee
|Patie M. Bartow||Acting Director, HEC San Ysidroemail@example.com||(619) 216-6795|
|Andre Harris||Acting Supervisor, HEC San Ysidrofirstname.lastname@example.org||(619) 216-6792|
|Corina Elizarrarás||Education Center Coordinatoremail@example.com||(619) 216-6793|
Hours of Operation
|Food Services||Wednesday||10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.|
|Thursday||10:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.|