The 2020-21 FAFSA and California Dream Act Applications are available now!
Priority filing deadline is March 2, 2020
The school code for Southwestern College is 001294
You are required to complete a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year! It's still not too late to apply for the 2020-21 academic year!
California Dream Act Application
AB540 students who are US citizens or have legal residency granted by USCIS (not DACA) should complete the FAFSA, not the Dream Act Application. Follow this link for more Information on the California Dream Act.
Need assistance completing your FAFSA or Dream Application? We're here to help! Come to FAFSA Fridays! We'll be hosting open FAFSA labs at the Chula Vista campus and HECs on Fridays during the Fall semester. Bring your documentation and sit down with a Financial Aid staff member to discuss your questions and complete your application.
- Financial Aid TV
- Students and Parents: What You Need to Know About the 2020-21 FAFSA
- The FAFSA Process
- 2018-19 FAFSA Worksheet - in English or in Spanish
Completing the FAFSA
- Federal Student Aid: Find the Information You Need
Links to all the most important websites and information about financial aid from the Department of Education. Click here for Spanish.
- What Information Do I Need When I Fill Out the FAFSA?
Here’s a checklist of information and documents needed to complete the FAFSA.
- Federal student aid at a glance, 2020-21
A guide to federal student aid.
- Federal Student Aid for Adult Students
Important information for adult students beginning or returning to college. Follow this link for Spanish.
- Federal Student Aid and Homeless Youth
Follow this link for Spanish.
- Federal Student Aid Eligibility for Student Confined in Adult Correctional or Juvenile
Follow this link for Spanish.
- Am I Dependent or Independent?
Worksheet to help students determine their dependency status when filling out the FAFSA. Follow this link for Spanish.
- Who is my Parent When I Fill out the FAFSA?
Fact sheet that helps answer common questions about determining which parent's information to report on the FAFSA. Follow this link for Spanish.
- Simple Steps to Transfer Tax Information to your FAFSA (Image)
Graphic that explains how to use the IRS data retrieval tool to transfer tax information into the FAFSA and when the tool is available.
- Reporting Same-Sex Marriage on the FAFSA
Fact sheet that explains how a same-sex couple who is legally married should fill out the FAFSA. Follow this link for Spanish.
- Federal Financial Aid and Undocumented Students
Fact sheet that provides answers to frequently asked question about federal financial aid for undocumented students. Follow this link for information on the California Dream Act and available state financial aid programs for AB540 students.
- FAFSA Facts for Students with Drug-related Convictions
Fact sheet that explains how drug-related convictions may impact a student's eligibility for federal aid.
- Myths About Financial Aid
Fact sheet debunking common myths about federal financial aid: parents make too much money, too old, or need good grades.
Get In Touch
Contact us if you need help or have questions.
Cesar Chavez Student Services Center, 1st Floor
900 Otay Lakes Rd
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(working remotely during quarantine)
Monday - Thursday
8:00am - 6:30pm
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Note: Closed on legal and campus holidays