Important Changes to Financial Aid

California College Promise Grant (CCPG) Restrictions 

Beginning the Fall 2016 semester, students become ineligible for CCPGs if placed on academic or progress probation for two consecutive primary terms (fall and/or spring). Students will have the ability to appeal the loss of CCPG due to extenuating circumstances.

Visit California College Promise Grant for more information.

 Previous Changes of Importance to Students

150% Loan Limit

Effective July 1. 2013, students will lose the subsidy of existing loans if they do not complete their program of study within 150% of the published length of the program. For more information, please click here.

Effective July 2012, the federal government reduced the life-time eligibility for the federal PELL Grant to a maximum of 12 full-time semesters. Example: After you receive a PELL Grant for six years of full-time study, 12 or more units each semester, you will no longer be allowed to receive the PELL Grant. If you attend less than 12 units, your PELL Grant eligibility will be prorated.

High School Completion and Ability to Benefit (ATB)

To be eligible for financial aid, students are required to have a High School Diploma, General Education Diploma, (GED) or equivalency. Students who do not have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g. GED), and who first enroll in a program of study on or after July 1, 2012, will not be eligible to receive Title IV student aid. Students will qualify for Title IV student aid under one of the ability-to-benefit (ATB) alternatives if the student completed those ATB alternatives and was enrolled in a Title IV eligible program prior to July 1, 2012. Those alternatives include the student passing an independently administered, approved ATB test or successfully completing at least six credit hours of postsecondary education. Students that possess a Foreign High School Diploma will be required to have the grade transcripts evaluated by an accredited agency in order to determine if the diploma is equivalent to a U.S. High School Diploma.

California Dream Act (CADA)

Legislative bills AB130 and AB131 allow verified AB540 students to apply for and receive State of California financial aid. Students with valid social security numbers (SSN) should complete the FAFSA application and those who do not have valid SSNs or have a temporary SSN through the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) should complete the California Dream Act application (CADA). The CADA application will generate an application for both Cal Grants and California College Promise Grants. Follow this link for more information on the CADA.